Questions - cycling

jfmkem82

I've begun to set up my Blenny / Goby tank and I have a few questions. I've had tanks before and currently Reef, but all of these tanks were purchased basically already cycled - I transported the water and rock and used them.

I've looked on line and done some research but I wanted to get opinions from people here on a board I trust.

I have a 25 gal AIO lagoon styled tank. I added 20# of live sand. Then I mixed 10 gals from my established tank with 15 gl of LFS purchased saltwater. I also took 2 pieces of live rock from my established tank (each slightly larger than a fist) and added them to the new tank along with pieces of dry formerly live rock (I gave those pieces a vinegar bath last week).

I've heard about adding a piece of grocery store bought raw shrimp to the water to assist in the cycling process.

Anything else I need to do beside obviously testing regularly?

Thanks,
Javier

GugsJr

TeamCR
If you added live rock from your established tank you should be good in about a week.

As long as it didn't dry out.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
You could use some raw shrimp if you'd like. I usually grind it up so there's more surface area and that helps it break down faster. Water from an established tank really doesn't do much for cycling bc it has very little/no beneficial bacteria in it. Just test daily and do a WC after the ammonia spike and you'll be ready to go.

conchman

Premium member
I have used raw shrimp each time. I just place it in a media bag, float it, and pull the bag out when broken down somewhat. I always get the what the "f" from my wife...be ready for that...