Quick, 2 hour DIY algae turf scrubber

adubson

I decided to try out an algae turf scrubber on my tank, and I figured it wouldn't be too hard to throw it together myself. Nothing too out of the ordinary as far as waterfall ATS goes. I liked the idea of just screwing it in to my current union fitting from my drain into the sump. The screen isn't very big itself, but I was going off of the newer recommendations I saw on algaescrubbing.com (12 sq in per cube of food/day). Interested to see how it works over the next month or so. I'm a little worried about the light that spills into the sump and how much algae it'll grow down there on the equipment or the few pieces of live rock in there.

All in all, it cost about $45 and it took me just under 2 hours to throw together.

#theMatrix

Is the drain from an overflow from the DT?
Thats how i had mine set up. But my dt had lots of detrious build up.
The problem with that atleast for me was that. The detrious would go to the overflow...and clog the scrubber to where algae would not get hold and grow. Not everytime. But when i blew the rock work with a PH.

Well. Im now testing a small maxijet pump to a waterfall drip into the sump from the sump.

2nd day in

adubson

Yeah it's from the display tank. I was worried about that since I like to get the detritus churning and enlist a filter sock. I'm hoping that the additional flow to the two side pipes will keep things in suspension.

Otherwise I may have to put a strainer in my overflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#theMatrix

Well my system has am overflow system to 3 splits two into sock filters and one that was the ATS but because this came from a smaller system lots of detrious build up on my 125 system so it kept building up detrious on the screen....
Problem solved after doing a maxijet pump waterfall system now.

Good luck with the set up