Quick & Easy Solution to better cell phone pictures!

DB9181

I found a great thread featured on facebook regarding getting better cell phone pictures of coral posted on Manhattanreefs.com

As we all have found out, most cell phones do not interpret tank lights, specifically blue LEDs properly which gives us crappy pictures. It turns out that with a simple red gel you can cut down the blue while still retaining the rest of the spectrum.

View attachment 1276

Here are a couple examples I took with an iPhone4s lastnight - nothing was changed or edited except for holding the red gel in front of the camera lens:

Sunburst Nem:
View attachment 1277 View attachment 1278

PZ Seduction: (iPhone clip-on macro lens used)
View attachment 1279 View attachment 1280

For simple phone pics this simple trick does an incredible job! That was just with one red gel, you can use (layer) more gels depending on your LEDs/amount of blues - for my tank I found a really only needed one. A member on that forum can mail you a set of 4 red gels for very cheap - a small set of 4 gels for phones/ipad is $2.50 ... larger set for DSLR is only $6.00

For more info, please visit Mike's thread here:
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/157593-i-have-solution-better-cell-phone-pic-s.html

DB9181

Nice Dan, where you get the gel?
I'm sure you can order them yourself, but the member said they come in big sheets and are a little pricey so he cut them down for people - go to the thread link for info about ordering. He'll send ya 4 red gels ... $2.50 or $6 (depending on size) - Best $2.50 I've spent!!!

rozdab

I just heard another tip for iPhone users and led's.

If u put the blues to 30% and whites to 60% colors should be a lot closer and not saturated with blue.

Idk if using the gel sheets and this would make it even better or if u can only use one or the other but maybe worth a try.

I would also assume this should work for any cell phone too but who knows.

I haven't tried this yet, just heard it from someone else recently.