• Durso Plumbing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herbie Plumbing

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
This will be my first overflow/sump build. I will need experienced reef owners suggestions and feedback. As I've made my choices throughout the build process I will update the equipment list.

CURRENT SETUP

Aqueon All Glass 120G RR with Dual Megaflows
Herbie Plumbing
Aquamaxx Dry Rock 144lbs
MarinePure Spheres 1 Gallon / for Sump
2x Cobalt Neo-Therm 200W Heaters
Trigger Systems Ruby 36" Sump
Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0 Pump
BRS 5 Stage RO/DI

Last edited:

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
I guess I'm wondering how many people run a durso system and are happy with it and have had no problems. Running Herbie requires considerably more plumbing under the tank.

ColaAddict

Durso can be pretty quiet, but it's not a full siphon. you will still get alot of bubbles in your sump and that causes alot of salt creep eventually, which I hate.
I am a big fan of Herbie drain system, it's a full siphon, if you look at your sump, it looks like nothing is draining into it because you see ZERO air bubbles. it's the quietest system. The only thing with Herbie system is you need a back up drain for each of your drain. that means you either have to drill back up drain holes, or use the return hole for the back up drain and just plumb the return pipe going from the back of your tank and over the rim and into your tank.
I use Herbie system

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
Had a slight setback today. The tank cracked on me. Purchased the new tank which will arrive Tuesday. Took the opportunity to switch to a 120G instead, thinking I will like the 48x24x24 better. Bought 144lbs of Aquamaxx Dry Rock, 2 Cobalt 200W Neo-Therm heaters, Sicce Syncra 5.0 pump, and all the plumbing I need.

madjoe

Premium member
Had a slight setback today. The tank cracked on me. Purchased the new tank which will arrive Tuesday. Took the opportunity to switch to a 120G instead, thinking I will like the 48x24x24 better. Bought 144lbs of Aquamaxx Dry Rock, 2 Cobalt 200W Neo-Therm heaters, Sicce Syncra 5.0 pump, and all the plumbing I need.
Thats a slight set back lol. That sucks dude sorry to hear

my herbie is the shizzzzzzzzzzzzz the mp40s are louder than the tank! check out my build for plumbing advice... honestly the emergency's are 10 minutes worth of plumbing total i used 1" flex on em and they can dump into any compartment of the sump since they are never flowing water unless shi* goes wrong.. running the herbie was the best decision i've ever made hands down... just gate valve both main drains for precise adjustment a ball valve isn't gonna get the job done don't cheap on those two valves they are crucial..

steveo9043

i just bought my 120g rr too (it should be in tomorrow or friday) I did get a marineland tank tho so its a single corner overflow. I haven't decided if I want to run the return out the back and up over to do a herbie or not. I do want it quiet so I think I should. but i also want the tank as close to the wall as possible so I'm not sure.

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
I picked up the replacement tank already. Not sure if about drilling the returns in on the new tank. I really want to but I'm afraid of cracking another tank.

steveo9043

I picked up the replacement tank already. Not sure if about drilling the returns in on the new tank. I really want to but I'm afraid of cracking another tank.
You could run the return out the back of the stand and over the top of the tank, if you have a canopy for it no one will see it.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'm not really a fan of my dursos. They make some noise where the water falls into the overflow (I could raise them a bit), they make noise as the water goes through the pipes, and they make noise where they dump into the sump. However, I'm much too lazy to change it up and it's not that bad. All plumbing is enclosed in a stand/canopy so it dampens the noise. The whirring of the WP60&40 are more annoying than my returns.

I'd be giving herbie a serious look if I were in your shoes.