Raising Nitrates

Cubano32

Premium member
Hey all so i'm having a little trouble raising my nitrates and was wondering what everyone does for this. So far the only thing i have tried is increasing my feeding and leaving my filter sock on for longer periods of time before changing it out. Reason i'm trying to raise them is not that any of my corals are doing bad or getting discolored but more of that i have had my corals since like end of December and all are doing great bright colors polyps fully extended but no new growth at all.

I don't know if maybe it's this crappy API test kit or if i really just don't have any nitrates. I was doing weekly water changes for last few months but have now just switched to every 2 weeks. I just did some testing these are my water paremeters

Any suggestion

Amonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

Calcium 440

Alkalinity 7.8

maidia

Team CR
Can not count on API...Try different test kit if till 0 then feed the fish more stop changing water for a while.

GugsJr

TeamCR
For test kits these will give you the most accurate results.

Dkh: Hanna
Phos: Hanna ULR
Calcium: Sailfert
Mag: Sailfert
Nitrate: Red Sea

You could also try acro power, polyp booster and reef roids.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cubano32

Premium member
How's your phosphates? Feeding more will likely raise them.
Some people use stump remover to raise nitrates. Or for the pharma version check out this link. http://www.loudwolf.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=158
phosphates seem fine...

- - - Updated - - -

For test kits these will give you the most accurate results.

Dkh: Hanna
Phos: Hanna ULR
Calcium: Sailfert
Mag: Sailfert
Nitrate: Red Sea

You could also try acro power, polyp booster and reef roids.

i use reef roids twice a week...and i was thinking about going with hanna for dkh and calcium i got alot of points with brs so i can get them pretty cheap

GugsJr

TeamCR
phosphates seem fine...

- - - Updated - - -

i use reef roids twice a week...and i was thinking about going with hanna for dkh and calcium i got alot of points with brs so i can get them pretty cheap
Do not get Hanna for calcium it's not as accurate

Cubano32

Premium member
Do not get Hanna for calcium it's not as accurate

i heard it is now with the new pipette they include with it...from everyone i talked to that has the new kit

- - - Updated - - -

reason i want to get that is cause im not good with colors and i salifert and red sea crap is all based on what colors you see

GugsJr

TeamCR
i heard it is now with the new pipette they include with it...from everyone i talked to that has the new kit

- - - Updated - - -

reason i want to get that is cause im not good with colors and i salifert and red sea crap is all based on what colors you see
I know I'm color deficient (slight read/green color blind) I use them pretty well

goat585

Administrator
Hey all so i'm having a little trouble raising my nitrates and was wondering what everyone does for this. So far the only thing i have tried is increasing my feeding and leaving my filter sock on for longer periods of time before changing it out. Reason i'm trying to raise them is not that any of my corals are doing bad or getting discolored but more of that i have had my corals since like end of December and all are doing great bright colors polyps fully extended but no new growth at all.

I don't know if maybe it's this crappy API test kit or if i really just don't have any nitrates. I was doing weekly water changes for last few months but have now just switched to every 2 weeks. I just did some testing these are my water paremeters

Any suggestion

Amonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

Calcium 440

Alkalinity 7.8
Personally I would never try and raise nitrates in a tank. All our tanks have plenty of Nitrates in the in my opinion unless you are doing some ultra low dosing system or you have no fish. If I had to guess there is something else going on. Its either not enough light, flow or something else going on. Adding Nitrates will probably cause you more long term issues. I'm not sure what corals you are having issues with but a lot of them grow really slow at first, then at 6 months start growing and explode in growth at a year. It could just be the corals. This is especially true for certain SPS corals and even some LPS.

How long has the tank been up and running?

Cubano32

Premium member
Personally I would never try and raise nitrates in a tank. All our tanks have plenty of Nitrates in the in my opinion unless you are doing some ultra low dosing system or you have no fish. If I had to guess there is something else going on. Its either not enough light, flow or something else going on. Adding Nitrates will probably cause you more long term issues. I'm not sure what corals you are having issues with but a lot of them grow really slow at first, then at 6 months start growing and explode in growth at a year. It could just be the corals. This is especially true for certain SPS corals and even some LPS.

How long has the tank been up and running?
Tank has been up since middle of october, i'm not doing any low nutrient tank, i have 2 clowns, 1 goby, 1 neon dottyback, 1 dragon goby, 1 bengai cardinal, and emeralds crabs, snails , starfish.

I checked my par just last week on my light and its pretty good, Flow i have the new Icecap 1k gyre pump and lowest setting and even that is blowing evrything crazy.

As far as corals
2 Birdsnest
2 Green monti
1 Red monti
1 Stella Tubbs Monti
1 Hammer
1 Frogspawn
2 Torches
1 Fungia plate
1 Duncan
2 Acans
1 Nem
1 Candy Cane
1 War Coral
and crap load of zoas....these are the only things growing and popping out new heads like every week

madjoe

Premium member
High nitrates can also cause slow growth. That tanknis pretty new id let it do its thing. I had a coral took two yrs and it barely encrusted onto the rock but then it started growing lik a weed a very beautiful shortcake weed.

Amozoc

Premium member
Same issue like you , nitrates 0 phosphate 0 so since 3 weeks ago using reef roids snd now got grow but not too much color so this week i gonna add Fuel from Aqua vitro give a try for 3 weeks and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Thor

Cubano32

Premium member
Same issue like you , nitrates 0 phosphate 0 so since 3 weeks ago using reef roids snd now got grow but not too much color so this week i gonna add Fuel from Aqua vitro give a try for 3 weeks and see what happens

Cool let me know how it works for you..i was going to try that or polylab fuel

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Amozoc

Premium member
WHAT IS RF-FUEL:

RF-Fuel is a unique fusion of organic carbon sources enriched with amino acids. It is a safe, and highly effective carbon-based bacterial food source that will steadily improve water quality. The process is very gentle, and will not have any negative effects on your existing corals.