Rallos' Fluval Spec V Office Reef (5.5g)

Rallos

Hey guys. I posted a little bit about my tank so far in the introduction forum but I figured I should post an official thread here. This is my first ever saltwater tank so I will probably do dumb things, feel free to correct me.

Equipment:

Fluval Spec V 5.5g Tank
inTank Media Basket (running from top to bottom a sponge, purigen, and chemipure blue)
Stock return pump with a hydor deflector attachment
Koralia Nano 240 GPH powerhead
Cobalt Neo-Therm 50W Heater
Avast ATO
AI Prime for lighting

View attachment 13850

View attachment 13851

View attachment 13852

View attachment 13853

View attachment 13854

View attachment 13855

View attachment 13856

1fishjones

Premium member
Nice, I like! The only thing I suggest is keeping the rocks far enough away from the glass for easy cleaning.
Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrpark22000

Premium member
Good looking start.

We all have made countless errors, we're here to help, hopefully before you make some that we have :D

the build so far has some very good equipment. Do you have a thermometer to monitor what the heater is actually doing? If you don't the cheap coralife digital ones are pretty acurate and under $10. you'll want to watch your water quality with two fish in such a small water volume. It can soon get bad causing things like hair algea or worse.

Rallos

Yeah. I have one of those digital probe thermometers you just cant see it in the picture. Picked up a black background to cut to size so more to come :)

Actually, it's blue on one side and black on the other, which one would be better?

SkullV

Nice start! I got VERY in depth with one of these SpecV tanks but ultimately ended up drilling it. Rather than cloud up your thread, shoot me a PM if you want to discuss some options for improving the base tank for reef purposes.

Rallos

Nice start! I got VERY in depth with one of these SpecV tanks but ultimately ended up drilling it. Rather than cloud up your thread, shoot me a PM if you want to discuss some options for improving the base tank for reef purposes.
I don't think you'd be clouding the thread at all. Please share what you did. Someone else might find some inspiration in it also. :)

Rallos

Update: Added the black background. Not sure I did the best job but what a difference it makes!

Siebo

Premium member
Update: Added the black background. Not sure I did the best job but what a difference it makes!

Great start. If this side is your focal point of the tank I would move that power head round to the right side doing two things 1. clearing the main viewing pane of glass 2. driving flow lengthwise.

Looking good though.

Rallos

Great start. If this side is your focal point of the tank I would move that power head round to the right side doing two things 1. clearing the main viewing pane of glass 2. driving flow lengthwise.

Looking good though.
I have it pointed that way because if I point it length wise the flow is too strong and my torch gets angry. It's a tiny tank and the powerhead is 240 gph so I need to deflect it off of the sides in order to have the right amount of flow. I might try and hide it in the back behind the rock though, on the right side.

Spartanman22

You could move it as siebo suggested but do as you said and hide it behind the rock and point it towards the surface. This will give you some nice surface agitation and shouldn't upset the torch.

Looks good so far though! I'm strongly considering a small office tank! But I'm a bit concerned productivity would plummet!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rallos

View attachment 13893

So I rearranged things around. The nem is out front and I moved the powerhead. Only time will tell if it wants to stay there. It gets plenty of light, is in a little crack for the foot... so... by everything I've read it should be happy but as im sure you all know... nems will be nems... :brain-slug:

Rallos

Been a while since I did an update for this tank. A few things have changed. I took out the powerhead and it's just running on the stock pump at the moment for flow. Seems to be okay. Moved the torch home and the bta.

Current livestock: Maroon Clown and a lawnmower blenny, one small emerald crab and a few hermits and snails.
Corals: one octospawn, a kenya tree leather and various zoanthids

FTS:

Close ups:

clown wouldn't stop trying to photobomb :lol: