Rate my Scape...

Vapour1ze

So, my new 220 has been up and tied into my existing 93 reef for the past 6 months about... Everything is finally starting to look good and come around...

I haven't really moved the scape around too much since I've initially filled it with water.

I was contemplating the other evening order another 50lbs from MarcoRocks and filling in the back middle portion that is basically an open swim through right now in the middle of the tank.

My rock work is pretty low... Not too high, I was thinking something taller in the back could make it look a bit better, but then thought maybe not and just leave it alone?

Just looking for some opinions... I can post some side shots later to get a better idea on rock work currently.

Thanks,
LUKE

:coffee1:

1fishjones

Premium member
I would add a few Tonga towers in the back just to fill things in visually. jmtc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good bro!! Nice radion man!! If it were mine I would have added more rock to make it a little higher in the aquarium. Looks good tho maybe I can get you to come over and do mine lol.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Looks good to me. Personally, I'd remove the Tonga bridge as it doesn't flow too well. I might also take the rock off of the 2nd to left stack and put it on one of the right stacks. That would give you some vertical variation. Last, I might also move the second to right stack closer to the front glass to give it a little depth.

Overall, I think your scape is miles ahead of most. I definitely would NOT add more rock.

Vapour1ze

Cool. Deal, I'll pull the tonga bridge. And I guess I'll be leaving the rest alone... Where should I move the tonga to?

ultimatemj

I'm with Sawdonkey...looks good and would be made better by removing tonga and top rock from second stack. Something about odd number (3 stacks vs 4) and negative space (which is so hard, but with a 220 you have good options!).
View attachment 16043

That second column being reduced also opens the option for a species 'island' or a larger specimen coral/critter (like the cool purple/blue fans RW has, or a big stag SPS, or a big carpet nem with room for multiple clowns, etc).

Jealous of the space! Looks great so far!

Vapour1ze

I'm with Sawdonkey...looks good and would be made better by removing tonga and top rock from second stack. Something about odd number (3 stacks vs 4) and negative space (which is so hard, but with a 220 you have good options!).
View attachment 16043

That second column being reduced also opens the option for a species 'island' or a larger specimen coral/critter (like the cool purple/blue fans RW has, or a big stag SPS, or a big carpet nem with room for multiple clowns, etc).

Jealous of the space! Looks great so far!
Well, on top of that 2nd column is 3 rbtas, and a mag anemone that is HUGE, (was just deflated in the pic) it literally is 15" wide when inflated... I would have nowhere to put those nems I don't think... Also, I have a BIG blue gig, which is recovering due to no light over him for the past few months... He's slowly recovering, he is on middle rock.

ultimatemj

Just going off what I can see on the flat screen, no worries!

If there is room on the sand bed, maybe that rock could be moved down to provide the "3 towers look" and make more front to back "squiggle" to accentuate the depth front to back?

Otherwise, just pull the branch and be happy :)

Vapour1ze

Just going off what I can see on the flat screen, no worries!

If there is room on the sand bed, maybe that rock could be moved down to provide the "3 towers look" and make more front to back "squiggle" to accentuate the depth front to back?

Otherwise, just pull the branch and be happy :)
I'll work with it and see what I can come up with... So don't use the branch at all?

carpetreef75

Premium member
Looks great , I would leave it alone ... my 300 is loaded with rock and high and im hoping this weekend or next to take out about 300 pounds of rock and make it look more like yours and lots of room for corals
Bryan

ninjamyst

Premium member
I like negative space so I wouldn't add more rocks. Let corals fill up the space, not rocks. A few SPS colonies will fill up the vertical space nicely.

Bommie

I like the bridge idea, once u add some coral to the bridge it wont look so much like a tonga out of place. Is it just one bridge? If so I would add another one. One that connects at the very top of two stacks.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Redrooster

I largely agree with every else about the merits of negative space and not having too much rock. I've learned over the years that if you have too much rock that your no longer aquascaping. It will eventually just be a big pile of rocks with no character.