Recent fish deaths - something to be concerned about?

For some reason I've lost a number of fish lately. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that my Bartlett's anthias' tail was getting frayed and rotting. Nothing ever bothers him, in fact, he's usually the one that chases other fish away so I didn't think he was being bullied. I started soaking all the foods in garlic in case it was some sickness that he could come back from. Then he all of a sudden stopped eating followed by death 3 days later.

Next my pintail fairy jumped out. I don't know how I didn't hear him or see him but I just noticed him dried out on the floor next to my tank.

I ordered a few fish from Diver's Den and one of the fish, a Leopard Toby puffer simply didn't want to come out much to eat. He always hid in the back. If I basted some food over by him he would eat it but not much. The other fish ate just fine. He stopped eating as well and then one morning I found him stuck to the side of a Vortech, too weak to free himself. He died shortly after.

Then Saturday morning, I looked over at the tank and saw my Linneatus swimming erratically with the flow. Kind of like how they get disoriented if you wake them from their sleep but this was morning already and he should have been up. Also, he was swimming upside down which usually isn't a good thing, and was breathing heavy as well. It was weird because the night before he ate just fine like any other day. I took him out and put him in my sump where he wouldn't be bothered by other fish - the cleaner wrasse was picking at him and the clown's were nipping at him when he would swim past their hammer coral. He didn't last more than 2 hours after that, his breathing slowed and he passed in my sump.

It sucks. When it rains it pours. I don't think any of these incidents are related except maybe the anthias and the linneatus? I don't know. Water quality is pristine and, AFAIK, there are no predators in the tank. The anthias seemed to slowly deteriorate over the course of a week while the linneatus didn't have a spot on him, no nipped fins or anything. He just kind of died all of a sudden.

So I don't know if I have anything to be concerned about or if all these fish died recently just by coincidence.

View attachment 16992

PS - as of right now, i hate this hobby

tinman

what about possible electricity leaks ?

this is only what i heard so not sure .. do you have any nassarius snails ? they might attack sleeping fish ..

what about possible electricity leaks ?

this is only what i heard so not sure .. do you have any nassarius snails ? they might attack sleeping fish ..
would you feel electricity leaks if you stuck your arm in? i heard that if there was stray voltage fish would kind of move a little weird, like in a jolting pattern

i do have a number of nassarius snails but they've never seemed to bother anything...i also read about the ones you might be talking about, the Illynassa obsoleta which are predatory and hunt injured fish...reefs2go used to sell those as nassarius for cheaper than the reef safe nassarius vibex but i never bought any unless i was sold them unknowingly

tinman

would you feel electricity leaks if you stuck your arm in? i heard that if there was stray voltage fish would kind of move a little weird, like in a jolting pattern

i do have a number of nassarius snails but they've never seemed to bother anything...i also read about the ones you might be talking about, the Illynassa obsoleta which are predatory and hunt injured fish...reefs2go used to sell those as nassarius for cheaper than the reef safe nassarius vibex but i never bought any unless i was sold them unknowingly
well if the electricity is small.. you wont feel it unless there is a cut or something ..

internal parasite? that's my guess based on anthias and puffer not eating.
yea i'm leaning more now towards it being flukes (as advised by [MENTION=108]SkullV[/MENTION])...anthias had frayed tail and stopped eating for days...the puffer was brand new so maybe he just wasn't going to make it no matter what due to shipping stress...the linneatus is the one that caught me totally by surprise...biggest fish in the tank and ate like a champ the night before...dead in the morning with no real signs of trauma anywhere except for a speck of white on one of his fins

now i'm on a hunt for a diamondtail flasher wrasse

SkullV

Good luck! Flukes is one of the few parasites that makes sense with the fish you mentioned, but like I said via text I would definitely try to confirm visually before you treat. Even though Prazi is 100% reef safe in my experience (and will help with internal parasites) it's never good to medicate a tank that doesn't actually need it.

The only thing that somewhat worries me is the timeline. For the lineatus to be fine one day and dead the next due to flukes could be pretty "disconnected". The only two marine diseases that really manifest like that are Velvet and Uronema marinum (which can manifest internally and have no visible damage from the outside). Velvet would have likely spread to all your other fish already as well though.

carpetreef75

Premium member
yea i'm leaning more now towards it being flukes (as advised by [MENTION=108]SkullV[/MENTION])...anthias had frayed tail and stopped eating for days...the puffer was brand new so maybe he just wasn't going to make it no matter what due to shipping stress...the linneatus is the one that caught me totally by surprise...biggest fish in the tank and ate like a champ the night before...dead in the morning with no real signs of trauma anywhere except for a speck of white on one of his fins

now i'm on a hunt for a diamondtail flasher wrasse

Hope you get it sorted out Bro , so your growing those beautiful corals with leaking electricity Ha .... i knew you were onto something magical :woohoo: lol
talk soon Bryan

Hope you get it sorted out Bro , so your growing those beautiful corals with leaking electricity Ha .... i knew you were onto something magical :woohoo: lol
talk soon Bryan
oh you didn't know? stray voltage forces your corals to expel zooxanthelle and apparently pouring CLR into your tank does the same job as 2-part

#reeffadsforlyfe ;P

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'm doubting flukes. Fish can live quite a while with flukes and when my tank came down with them, it was fairly obvious. You can sometimes see the flukes, especially on the eyes, the fish twitch a lot, and if you do a FW dip, flukes fall right off. They look like sesame seeds.

SkullV

I'm doubting flukes. Fish can live quite a while with flukes and when my tank came down with them, it was fairly obvious. You can sometimes see the flukes, especially on the eyes, the fish twitch a lot, and if you do a FW dip, flukes fall right off. They look like sesame seeds.
I totally agree which is why I recommended visual confirmation. The only common reef ailment that kills this quickly would be velvet but you would almost certainly see it on the rest of the fish. Some types of gill fluke can cause enough irritation that they cause the fish to run into things while trying to shake them. My lineatus is 100% healthy but is constantly ramming the rock when my cat hits the tank. A "concussion" would explain the lineatus death sequence but not the others.

Last edited:
ok then i don't think either the anthias or the linneatus had this because sesame seeds are pretty big...i didn't see anything like that on the anthias - his top part of his tail just kept getting smaller and smaller but no hazy eyes or any kind of parasite (that i could see) on him...he also stopped being so active and laid in the bottom corner all the time...this was over the course of about a week which is when i started soaking food in garlic hoping it would help

the linneatus, as i've mentioned was very sudden...the night before i did notice one of his fins was very slightly frayed and the next morning i just noticed him doing getting swept up in the flow of the gyres, spinning around aimlessly and hitting rocks and corals...what can cause something like that and so quickly?

i got a bottle of prazipro coming today just in case any more weirdness happens but the speed in which whatever killed my linneatus is what's got me worried it can happen again

OceanBlueAquatics

Premium Sponsor
I am so sorry for your loss. I know the feeling all too well. We try to do everything by the book but in the end we have no true control. Don't give up! I lost 2 gorgeous wrasses 2 weeks apart and was so frustrated I told myself I was done. Took me a few months before I added another fish. Don't beat yourself up. We are all here for support if you need it. Keep smiling:a04: