Recommendation for a magnifier

Mr. Thingdoer

My eyes aren't what they used to be. Does anybody have a recommendation for a must-have magnifier for this hobby? The purpose of this magnifier would be to inspect new acquisitions for pests better. I'm going to be stocking my new tank, and I don't want to miss anything unwanted. I want to know exactly what gets put in without exception. I recently got two frags, dipped them, but one looks a little bit suspect, although I can't seem to be able to find anything on it.

I became concerned when I noticed an Asterina star on my glass. I realize it's not a pest, but I certainly didn't knowingly introduce it. It probably hitchhiked on a snail shell, and to me, not noticing it is unacceptable.

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Bayer dip seems to do a good job killing any hitchhikers. I've been doing that since another member recommended it and then following up with seachem dip or revive. Also been using a small tank as qt to observe then repeat dip if so desired for the egg scenario.

Mr. Thingdoer

I'm not too keen on Bayer dipping. I know it's popular, but I'd rather stick to Melafix, Lugols for LPS, and Interceptor for SPS.
That in combination with a proper QT should keep me pest free. My issue is that I can't seem to be able to see what (if anything) is troubling these zoanthids. I've taken photos, then zoomed in real close, but I don't see any nudis, spiders or other pests. I need a magnifier.

Mjl714

I like a magnifying glass, however I'd like a better one, so I'll be following for any good recommendations.

willtheld

There's a company that makes a product called the porthole. It's a magnetic algae scrapper with a magnifying glass built I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Thingdoer

There's a company that makes a product called the porthole. It's a magnetic algae scrapper with a magnifying glass built I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw that. It looks cool, and I might get one for leisurely viewing in the future. I think for this purpose, I need something that I can move a a little more globally, though. Something hand held, on a visor, or on an articulating arm might be more apropriate. It needs to have (I'm guessing) 20-60X magnification, and a working distance of about 12" or so. I've found a few online, but they're like $400-500. The "working distance" is longer than the common magnifiers used for SMD soldering, and other nerdy hobbies like painting war figurines, right?