Red light negatively affects health of stony coral

SkullV

Interesting results. One of the big reasons that Neutral and Warm White LEDs are popular over Red/Cyan. Coral needs very very little red spectrum as compared to terrestrial photosynthetic plants and the "warmer" white LEDs have plenty. Even the CREE cool white LEDs cover most of the necessary spectrum for coral growth/color.

Funlad3

While I can't doubt that Chlorophyll A is inhibited by Red Light, I'd be interested to see the effects of it on the levels of other Chlorophyll types. Both are used in tandem for photosynthesis, and in a marine environment, I BELIEVE that Chlorophyll D and F (700nm peak absorbancy range) are equally important as Chlorophyll A (680nm peak absorbancy range). The latter absorbs light in the wave range is used to break apart H2O to supply the electrons and an energy intermediate needed for the Calvin Cycle (Sugar Synthesis from products of first steps) of photosynthesis to occur while the former bind the intermediate molecule that supplies the phosphate needed in the Calvin Cycle that forms the new sugar molecules. Both sets of products are limiting, and both sets of Chlorophyll are important.

And I'd also like to point out that this is why Phosphate is so important in a reef tank! In high concentrations, it inhibits calcification by reacting with the Calcium and carbonate ions before they can react with each other and form a coral's skeleton, but it IS still needed in low concentrations so as to allow photosynthesis, DNA replication, and protein production.

Go AP Bio and AP Chem!

Last edited:

jm23

To quote the article:

"...so the idea is not that red light is necessarily harmful but that too much red light can have negative effects on how stony corals regulate photosynthesis."

Still a good read, thanks for sharing.