red monti cap question

mr_z

well i got a red monti cap and theres some little tiny polyp looking things on it is it supposed to be like that. sorry for the question its one of my first corals and idk about them thanks in advance

mr_z

cool i didnt know that theres not alot out but there is some. is there something i have to feed it like any kind of drops or somthing i put in there

ColaAddict

light, lots of light. SPS and montis also use their small polyps to capture some nutrients/elements in the tank, usually from dissolved reef food and fish poop.

mr_z

light, lots of light. SPS and montis also use their small polyps to capture some nutrients/elements in the tank, usually from dissolved reef food and fish poop.
ok well its in my 12gl jbj its up top close to the light the nano has 2x24w pc bulbs if that matters. and i guess its happy just hope i keep up with my water changes now :)

fastrc

They like calcium to help there shell (body) grow so make sure you check and keep it up.

FishBeard

I was growing a piece of orange Monti in my 14g Biocube under total 48w of PC and saw a little growth over 2 months, it was as high as it could be in the tank and got good flow, yours should be fine.

This is not accurate for Montipora species. Generally you want to provide "Montis" with medium to high (Often called "Moderate") light to prevent bleaching. Under a good lighting system in a mature SPS tank "Montis" are an excellent candidate for the bottom 1/3 of the tank. Under the PC lighting of your tank you will want this coral close to the top. Unfortunately with regards to plating Montipora species this often leads to shading the rest of your tank. Good luck!

mr_z

This is not accurate for Montipora species. Generally you want to provide "Montis" with medium to high (Often called "Moderate") light to prevent bleaching. Under a good lighting system in a mature SPS tank "Montis" are an excellent candidate for the bottom 1/3 of the tank. Under the PC lighting of your tank you will want this coral close to the top. Unfortunately with regards to plating Montipora species this often leads to shading the rest of your tank. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk