Red slime mystery

madjoe

Premium member
Hey guys figured id share a experience that may help someone else. So ive been in this hobby over a decade ran a 75gal for 10 plus yrs no issues besides few self made errors but that tank was bullet proof. The the troubles begin. Almost three years ago I bought a house so I upgraded to a 150 gal 4ft tank it ran great for few months no loses in the move things were good . Then red slime took over . I battled it and battled it . Changed sand, more water changed multiple chemi clean doses tried vibrant i tried everything and anything. Finally I decided it was a flow issue being a tall tank I couldn’t get flow right least that’s what i told my self . So i broke down sent all sps to a buddies and stryed the 180gal build. I started with new sand new rock. My sps sat at my buddies for a yr lost some not his fault i mean it was a yr lol. Needless to say soon after setting up tank red slime again wtf. Battled it for little over yr now . Been going back and forth with ryan cunningham trying to figure this crap out before i just shut down for good. Then he mentioned a story he heard about a dentist office or dr idk lol about the cleaning crew using aerosol air freshener and that was what was causing their red slime issues. Well i have one those air freshener so I decided to move it . And wtf the slime is going away on its own it’s about 90 percent gone . Maybe this story will help someone else with the red slime struggle.

98silverado

Read about this on Facebook. Glad to hear you got it figured out, just sucks everything you went through to find out it was something as simple as an air freshener. Hopefully now you can get everything going again and me happy with the tank

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

shift9k

In our old place the tank was in the family room. My wife has a strange affinity for candles and the damn wallflowers from bath and body works. The tank started growing a strange white slime that was engulfing everything in the tank. Did some research moved all her stuff outta the room. Boom. Slime gone.

Now that we moved into our new place. I told her I wanted to put the tank in the family room. She said no because she wanted to light her candles.

Needless to say I got a pretty sweet setup in the basement.

madjoe

Premium member
In our old place the tank was in the family room. My wife has a strange affinity for candles and the damn wallflowers from bath and body works. The tank started growing a strange white slime that was engulfing everything in the tank. Did some research moved all her stuff outta the room. Boom. Slime gone.

Now that we moved into our new place. I told her I wanted to put the tank in the family room. She said no because she wanted to light her candles.

Needless to say I got a pretty sweet setup in the basement.
At my apartment my wife always lit candles and had plug in type air fresheners or the wax melting freshener never had issue. But i did habe a full canopy with a fan blowing out so maybe that was what kept it clean. Idk im still in shock from this i mean all the bs and money i spent to fix the issue and all it was was a dam air freshener ?*♂