Reducing nitrates

chriz2

Hi everyone
I have had a slight increase in nitrates lately. I have a 180 gallon reef tank. I have been doing a 30 gallon water change every week for 3 weeks now and was thinking of doing a 30 gallon water change twice a week. for a month to see if there is a drop. Is this to aggressive or should I continue once a week. My nitrates are around .25
Thanks

jayjerk

Premium member
So my question is why do you want nitrates lower. It's not a high number . Plenty of people run system with a much higher number

Last edited:

chriz2

I was always told they should be around .10 and under. Ihave a mixture of lps and sps. Do you think nitrates are ok at .25

Sawdonkey

Premium member
.25? Are you sure, and if you are, why would you be worried about .25 nitrates? If your nitrates are truly too high, 30 gallon water changes are only 17% of your water (and that's if you have no sump), and won't do too much for you. We could better help you if you told us:

What your nitrates are at (.25 is nothing to worry about, so I assume you're incorrect?)
How many fish and how big are they
Are you dosing anything (carbon dosing etc)
Do you have an appropriate skimmer?
How often and how much are you feeding?

chriz2

Nitrates .25 just checked again
Phosphates .20

7 Tangs about 4'' each
10 chromis 1'' each
2 clowns 1 1/2'' each
Flame angel 2''
Blue throat trigger 3''
Wrasse 4''
2 reactors one carbon on gfo
eshopps s300 cone skimmer

Feed 2 times a day fish consume in about 30 to 45 seconds

Sawdonkey

Premium member
OK, your nitrates are fine. Actually surprisingly low for that fish load. Not sure what your coral situations is, but phosphates at .2 is a little high if you're tying to get maximum color and growth.