Reef Safe - Camelback Shrimp?

jfmkem82

So I made a newbie mistake possibly. Had a 29 gal nano and bought a cleaner shrimp and a camelback from LFS. They knew I had a reef set-up and didn't say anything about camelback not being reef-safe. Had some soft corals - leather, mushrooms, and green star polyps - never noticed the camelback bothering anything. This was about a year ago.

Fastforward to the last couple of months. Sold the 29 and set up a 75. Transferred the leather and camelback into the new tank. Mushrooms and rock with green stars went with the 29.

Bought some zoas at Aquatic Experience in Nov and they never have done well in the 75. Another LFS mentioned to me that camelbacks are not reef-safe. Tonight I noticed the camelback on the zoas. Zoas have manage to survive but nowhere near as nice as they looked in vendor's tank at AE. In fact about half of the heads have whithered or fallen off completely. Acans also not thriving, but leather still looks great. Water parameters don't seem to be the issue. Checked those and have already asked here on the forum.

So, the question....are camelbacks in fact an issue in reefs? If so is there a trap I can use to catch it (little sucker is fast....) or do I need to remove all rock and net it?

carpetreef75

Premium member
Camel shrimp not coral safe,u may be able to lure him out in the open with a piece of cocktail shrimp and snatch him up with a net ... do it in the night time with lights off easier then ya think
Bryan

They will eat softies. I can't blame any animal for wanting to eat. At least that's what I used to think until my dog took a donut from the kitchen table, took it to my bed, ate it, and fell asleep on my pillow leaving donut crumbs all over my bed.

carpetreef75

Premium member
They will eat softies. I can't blame any animal for wanting to eat. At least that's what I used to think until my dog took a donut from the kitchen table, took it to my bed, ate it, and fell asleep on my pillow leaving donut crumbs all over my bed.
Ha hope it was'nt a chocolate donut
Bryan

carpetreef75

Premium member
Thank you. I will give that a try.
borrow your neighbors nylons :) put a small piece of rock for weight and a piece of cocktail shrimp in the small piece of nylon and right b4 lights go off set on sand bed and the shrimp will work at getting the cocktail shrimp out of nylon and give you a lil time to net him .good luck works awesome for bristle worms also they will bore holes in the nylon to get the cocktail shrimp
Bryan

Bommie

Picturing that in my head....lol..I bet he was dreaming how good that donut was.

Bommie

So I guess bottom line is they are not reef safe?. Didn't read any with a success story in keeping one in a reef.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk