Reef tank move

Quicksilver

Hi Everyone, purchasing a up and running 65 gallon reef tank with coral, live rock and fish. This is my first reef/saltwater tank and want everything to go as smoothly as possible. Called a few local places and most want as much as the entire setup, looking for reasonable alternatives to breakdown, move and setup 19 miles away. From the west side of the city to the western burbs. Thanks in advance.

pkajp

It might be cheaper to just do it with a friend. My old 65 took 4 hrs to tear down and set up with a buddy, but it was only a 6 mile move. Figure on half a day for the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Hire fellow reefers and a friend or two to help. A pick up truck or SUV will be needed if you don't want to make multiple trips. Other things that would be helpful : plastic storage containers ( 26G? ones), coolers or 5G buckets; portable air pumps, an inverter and small heaters if you want to be extra cautious. Expect a small cycle if you have live sand involved in the move. When are you planning to make the move? Chicago to Elmhurst?

Quicksilver

Thanks everyone, the issue is finding a large enough vehicle to make it in one trip. May have to rent a cargo van and get containers with seals to avoid anything leaking.