Reef tank project

Burntrack

Starting my used 75 gallon build. Going to build a home made 20gallon sump/refugium. The 75 had a false sand bed that I removed. Also cracked the frame, so I have to figure a fix for that

Rcunning8

Premium member
Ive seen people fix this with a certain type of glue and a piece of plastic to bridge over the fracture but its not pretty. I don't want to be the barer of bad news but if I were you I would spring for a new tank. Petco often sells tanks for 1 dollar a gallon so you could get a new 75 for 75 bucks plus tax. Also just wondering, have you put water in this tank yet to see if it holds? Also when you fill up with water you may notice scratches on the glass that weren't obvious before. That happened to me once and after noticing the scratches I just tossed the tank and started over. hope that helps

#theMatrix

Petco/petsmart only sells up to 55 gals dollarXdollar...
And they dont include the 5g or 10g...those used for tank transfer :( but still a good sale

As for the trim. If it compromises the frame....are you willing to accept that it may not hold water at some point causing a flood in your home? Id toss the tank.... but as mike said they do sell frames. But for that, youre almost having to remove the old. With what ever adheasive they use. Scrape out remainder clean off with solvents then place the new frame and glue back as well...using something to hold and place Xamount of lbs per to hold.

Not for me. Good luck

SkullV

Petco/petsmart only sells up to 55 gals dollarXdollar...
And they dont include the 5g or 10g...those used for tank transfer :( but still a good sale

As for the trim. If it compromises the frame....are you willing to accept that it may not hold water at some point causing a flood in your home? Id toss the tank.... but as mike said they do sell frames. But for that, youre almost having to remove the old. With what ever adheasive they use. Scrape out remainder clean off with solvents then place the new frame and glue back as well...using something to hold and place Xamount of lbs per to hold.

Not for me. Good luck
Historically the 10g has been included (otherwise it's only $14 anyway and you can almost always find a 10% off coupon around). Our last one out here ended in January and did include 10g tanks.

#theMatrix

Stop it! Im looking for an excuse to run a 10gal in my daughters room ...but youre not really helping. A 15dollar tank will turn into a 500 dollar one after. :D

But i have a 30gal QT that im putting away for the quarter. Ill put it back up in june...im tryind to do a new livestock per halfyear with QT access prior to DT.

Burntrack

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm starting to feel as I wasted my money now. Well, here comes another money pit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burntrack

Just an update. My new frames came in the mail. I will be removing the old silicone and the top frame today. After I scape the tank clean I'm going to reseal it and install the top frame. After that cures, 72 hours later I'm going to replace the bottom frame. I'll post some pics before and after

Burntrack

So I removed the top frame and the old silicone tonight from the tank. I will get the top frame sealed down tomorrow sometime. The only thing that I don't like is that the new frames are black.

Burntrack

Update**** the top frame has been replaced and all of the interior silicone has been removed. Will be cleaning and resealing later tonight.