Refugium Creatures

Does anyone know what these little orange things are? They move at times but are mostly stationary. They don’t seem to bother my corals or anything else, just curious because I never see them in my display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty

Premium member
Those are flatworms. You may wanna get rid of those.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I have a leopard wrasse in the display of this tank and a six line in my other display. Think that’s the reason why I have never seen them in my display and only in the fuge?

Yea they are flat worms(red planaria). There is flatworm exit by I think salifert you could check out, it's supposed to be reef safe. Otherwise more natural way with certain wrasse. I've heard success with yellow coris wrasse.

Last edited:

madjoe

Premium member
Wrasses eat em and springer damsels . Flat worm exit is reef safe kinda. The chemical it self don’t kill coral but depending on on my fw u have them dieing is the issue and if to many corals may suffer . I believe they release toxins while dieing too so a natural preditor is the way id go first.

tinman

Flat worm exit is completely safe to use in a reef ( provided you follow the directions on the pack to the T )

red planaria flatworms are poisonous so you wanna get rid of them when they are low in population ... if they are just in your sump id empty the sump, clean it put it back and then refill with fresh salt water and then use flat worm exit just to be sure that their poison ( which they release after they are dead wont be harmful for corals )

Flat worm exit is completely safe to use in a reef ( provided you follow the directions on the pack to the T )

red planaria flatworms are poisonous so you wanna get rid of them when they are low in population ... if they are just in your sump id empty the sump, clean it put it back and then refill with fresh salt water and then use flat worm exit just to be sure that their poison ( which they release after they are dead wont be harmful for corals )
100% agree....It's not the chemicals that's unsafe but the worms dying off
-Suggestion, try siphoning out as many of the flat worms you can then dose the flat worm exit as to not get as bad of a population die off.

GugsJr

TeamCR
100% agree....It's not the chemicals that's unsafe but the worms dying off
-Suggestion, try siphoning out as many of the flat worms you can then dose the flat worm exit as to not get as bad of a population die off.
Also have a lot of carbon ready to go as you see one die off turn your carbon reactor back on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rockhead

I’ve always used this, it’s great for corals and keeps them controlled , but that population you have is impressive.

Thanks for the advise. I may put one of the wrasses down there to get rid of most of them and then go the chemical route to finish them off.

vandz369

Had a bunch of those in my 28g biocube when I first started. Must have been hitchhikers on liverock from my lfs. Picked up a blueline nudibranch and it ate them all in 1 1/2 days! Only problem is it's all they eat so they die soon after. Also need to be carefully drip aclimated.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

carpetreef75

Premium member
Does anyone know what these little orange things are? They move at times but are mostly stationary. They don’t seem to bother my corals or anything else, just curious because I never see them in my display.

how'd the flatworm problem work out ??? been almost 3 weeks now howz the Corals ???
Bryan

I put one of the wrasses down there and he did a pretty good job of cleaning things up. I’m going to wait to see if the population stays low cause just a few doesn’t bother me. But if they start to repopulate I’ll have to go the chemical route.