Refugiums?

Navycook2

What is the purpose of a refugium? DO I NEED ONE? Ive read some stuff but I would like to hear about before and after refugiums to see how much effect they actually had on the tank! Im tossed on weather to have this for my new 210!

poidog

It's an area that pods can reproduce with no predation. It is also used to fun biological filtration, ie DSB, cheato, etc.

Do you have detectable phosphates? Cheato will help bring those down, and help starve out algae that is in the DT.

Jep21

Some ppl use refugiums to culture pods for wrasses and mandarins.. and also to grow cheato to help lower nitrates in their display tank.. i thnk its good to have one on bigger tanks.. hope this helps

Jep21

It's an area that pods can reproduce with no predation. It is also used to fun biological filtration, ie DSB, cheato, etc.

Do you have detectable phosphates? Cheato will help bring those down, and help starve out algae that is in the DT.
+1

Lil BamBam

Premium member

+1 Im pretty sure sump is going to be huge.. A good amount of cheato will work wonders :D

Pufferpunk

Pods to feed your picky fish is a small purpose they serve. They are the best detritus-eaters & cleanup crew in the industry!

RedDevil.258

IMO refugiums are as important as the lights you use! I try to incorporate one in every tank I design. Heres the catch....again IMO theres very little benifits if your fuge is not sized properly. Here's an example say you have a 150g tank with only a 10g fuge, that fuge is not proccessing much of your water so in turn it has a small if any effect on your DT.

I can't say if there is a rule, but I always try 15-20% of my overall water volume. Again IMO I would always use a fuge because they are great filters if I had the room available I would make it as large as possible.

poidog

Never heard that rule before. My fuge is only about 3-4 gallons of actual water vs. my 70 gallon display. The sump over all has 12 gallons of water in it (3-4 of that is the fuge).

RedDevil.258

Ok I may have said "rule" in there but my words may have been misleading. I believe that a fuge will perform better with a larger area.

@ poidog I agree my fuge is only about 12g and it's remote not a part of my sump. Maybe that's we're the confusion started. If I do upgrade to a larger tank I will make my sump real big. Apologize for the confusion.

RedDevil.258

Ok I may have said "rule" in there but my words may have been misleading. I believe that a fuge will perform better with a larger area.

@ poidog I agree my fuge is only about 12g and it's remote not a part of my sump. Maybe that's we're the confusion started. If I do upgrade to a larger tank I will make my sump real big. Apologize for the confusion.
So Navycook2

My two cents as large as room permits great filter! LOL

V/R IC1(SW)

Navycook2

Yeah I was actually on that his site yesterday and the day before but the largest sump is like a 80g I think i need/ want bigger. 1 was thinking 100+ gallons easy for a sump