reinforcing a table for a ten gallon?

pensiveone

Hi folks.

I have a old sewing machine table that I am planning to use as a stand for a ten gallon aquarium. Ir seems sturdy enough but I was thinking of reinforcing it just in case. Any suggestion how this would be best accomplished? Thanks!

jrwoltman

Be very careful, a gallon of saltwater weighs roughly 8.5 lbs + tank + rock/sand; you will probably be over a hundred pounds. That would be a fine mess to deal with.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I have little doubt that it can't handle the static load. A 200# person can likely sit on it. I see 2 problems. Over time salt water eating at the metal hardware and wood which will make the second problem worse. These tables did handle lateral loads well. The leg joints tend to seperate. It'd take a bit of internal bracing to be sturdy and as you're posting here for ideas, I'm guessing you are not a woodworker. IMO, I'd choose a different table.

pensiveone

I have little doubt that it can't handle the static load. A 200# person can likely sit on it. I see 2 problems. Over time salt water eating at the metal hardware and wood which will make the second problem worse. These tables did handle lateral loads well. The leg joints tend to seperate. It'd take a bit of internal bracing to be sturdy and as you're posting here for ideas, I'm guessing you are not a woodworker. IMO, I'd choose a different table.
Thanks for the advice. I have worked with wood many times, but just never had to reinforce a table before. My intention is to brace it internally give it added strength.

jrpark22000

Premium member
If I were to stiffen it up, I'd likely knock it completely apart. Where the sides meet each leg on the inside, the leg corner prevents a square block from bonding both of the sides to the leg at a clean 90deg angle. I'd remove the excess leg material making the inside corners to all meet smoothly. Then using biscuits or dowel pins, bond a 2"x2" (or so) square hardwood post to the inside of each 4 corners. Then tie all 4 of these posts to each other (and to the side panels) at the bottom of the sides. It'd be time consuming to get it to fit tightly and be strong, but if done it'd hold alot more than 10gal. I'd bet it could hold 400#.

Last edited:

pensiveone

If I were to stiffen it up, I'd likely knock it completely apart. Where the sides meet each leg on the inside, the leg corner prevents a square block from bonding both of the sides to the leg at a clean 90deg angle. I'd remove the excess leg material making the inside corners to all meet smoothly. Then using biscuits or dowel pins, bond a 2"x2" (or so) square hardwood post to the inside of each 4 corners. Then tie all 4 of these posts to each other (and to the side panels) at the bottom of the sides. It'd be time consuming to get it to fit tightly and be strong, but if done it'd hold alot more than 10gal. I'd bet it could hold 400#.
Thanks!