Removing chaeto

Bowhunter4250

I have a 75 gal. Refugium now that i have divided into 3 sections , far left section i have about 85# of live rock with a circulation pump to move water the a set of baffles , the middle section i have live sand , a ball of chaeto and my clip light , then that dumps into the third section which drains back into my sump..

My question is : Im running an algae scrubber as well , the qhaeto isnt really doing anything , its not growing and its not dying , if i take all of that out and leave the sand do i still need to keep a light going for the sand bed ? I dont want to start to have any kind of die off ? Anything else i can put in the middle section other than more rock ?

Thanks

ultimatemj

Where's your Protein skimmer? That could go there.

Regarding the "more rock" option, you may want to check out Pond Matrix.

Option B is "leave it open"! You never know when you need to separate somebody/thing out of the DT, but don't need/want to set up a QT :)

Bowhunter4250

where's your protein skimmer? That could go there.

Regarding the "more rock" option, you may want to check out pond matrix.

Option b is "leave it open"! You never know when you need to separate somebody/thing out of the dt, but don't need/want to set up a qt :)
skimmer is in my sump , but that pond matrix looks interesting ? What will it do ? Would i take out the sand ? And im not sure if i still keep my light off with the sand in there now ?

ultimatemj

Think of Matrix as "super high capacity live rock"...more bacteria surface in a smaller package/space. Kind of like bio-balls, except it will also support the anaerobic bacteria (like live rock).

I use "Pond" products where I can because they are almost always the same as the "Reef" products and WAY cheaper (sold in bulk at lower prices).

Pods and other such critters don't need the light..I'd remove it the same time as the chaeto.

Not sure what all is in your sand, but like most changes you probably don't want to do anything hasty. Maybe get a piece of plastic to use as a divider and remove sand on one side of it....put bio-media in its place...wait a week...remove a little more, move the divider over...more bio-media...continue. The divider should be below water level to allow critters over into the new media...just high enough to keep the sand from mixing into the media.

Side note: I'm about to put all of my Pond Matrix in a vegetable bag to make rinsing the media easier...and to siphon trapped detritus easier. The bag has to be "open mesh" to allow flow, so it would not work with De-nitrate or regular Matrix because of the smaller media size.
View attachment 5531

That's what I'd do anyway :thumb:

Bowhunter4250

think of matrix as "super high capacity live rock"...more bacteria surface in a smaller package/space. Kind of like bio-balls, except it will also support the anaerobic bacteria (like live rock).

I use "pond" products where i can because they are almost always the same as the "reef" products and way cheaper (sold in bulk at lower prices).

Pods and other such critters don't need the light..i'd remove it the same time as the chaeto.

Not sure what all is in your sand, but like most changes you probably don't want to do anything hasty. Maybe get a piece of plastic to use as a divider and remove sand on one side of it....put bio-media in its place...wait a week...remove a little more, move the divider over...more bio-media...continue. The divider should be below water level to allow critters over into the new media...just high enough to keep the sand from mixing into the media.

Side note: I'm about to put all of my pond matrix in a vegetable bag to make rinsing the media easier...and to siphon trapped detritus easier. The bag has to be "open mesh" to allow flow, so it would not work with de-nitrate or regular matrix because of the smaller media size.
View attachment 5531

that's what i'd do anyway :thumb:
thats pretty cool !! Now this pond matrix you can buy in bulk ? Does it need to be replaced at all ? How much can you put into a bag at one time ?

ultimatemj

It doesn't "wear out"...its just highly porous rock! LOL

Follow the link in my first post to the Seachem site...it should tell you all you need to know :)

I bought a 4L bucket from a Pond supply place for something like $30

Bowhunter4250

it doesn't "wear out"...its just highly porous rock! Lol

follow the link in my first post to the seachem site...it should tell you all you need to know :)

i bought a 4l bucket from a pond supply place for something like $30
+
i think im going to do this ! , take out my chaeto and sand and replace with some of this and just water ... Is it possible to use " too much " it says that it "treats " 200 gal.. But i would be using as just that , a different type of "live rock" ?

ultimatemj

Treats is an interesting choice of words by Seachem...

They had to come up with something that provides a reference for how much to use...but it comes down to bioload and 'enough' supporting bacteria.

Oh yea, and don't worry about overdosing rock. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfisherman

What is the composition of this rock, I'm also interested. If bo one knows I can do a bit of research into it I suppose.

wld1783

Chaeto is a shallow and needs the red spectrum to grow well. If its just hanging on and your nutrient levels are enough It might be the light.

Bill