Rescaped My Display Tank

labas39

My tank was running for something like 11 years. It was originally set up old school, a rock wall that that tappered from top to bottom.

The top corals ended up shading everything below so things stopped growing low anyway and I hated all those mushrooms.

I went form this:

and this:

To this:

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
now that's a drastic change! What did you do with all the extra coral you took out? How much did you kick up the sand, hopefully not bad enough to cause any problems.

labas39

now that's a drastic change! What did you do with all the extra coral you took out? How much did you kick up the sand, hopefully not bad enough to cause any problems.
I removed almost three 5 gallon buckets of rock. I sold off a lot of large chunks of the large colonies and the rest is in the 65 gallon tub behind the tank. (I redid that this past summer; it's now a look down tank with sand and only a small frag rack.)

I kicked up the sand big time; it wasn't disturbed in about 11 years. I couldn't see anymore with all the poop floating around. From some scrapes on the coral and rocks, my hand became infected, I was on three antibiotics for 7 days.

Mike from [MENTION=9]AQUAPROS[/MENTION] had a great idea. He said if I look up at the sand from the bottom of the tank and it looks like clean sand, I should be Ok and I was.

Knock on wood but other than me, nothing seemed to care. Everything came through great.

jrpark22000

Premium member
sounds like an adventure too, glad to hear your ok. Nice work, you get the cahnce to grow out the tank all over again!

labas39

Thanks guys! It actually looks better in person but I'm looking forward to it growing out.

As far as that Gyre 150 goes, I put it on after the change and I like it. It's in the wave making mode at 60% but the corners of the tank along the wall that it's mounted on barely get any flow. The polyps of that green acro on the right in the back barely were moving. I ended up putting a WP10 on under the Gyre to give it some flow.

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks guys! It actually looks better in person but I'm looking forward to it growing out.

As far as that Gyre 150 goes, I put it on after the change and I like it. It's in the wave making mode at 60% but the corners of the tank along the wall that it's mounted on barely get any flow. The polyps of that green acro on the right in the back barely were moving. I ended up putting a WP10 on under the Gyre to give it some flow.
Aint that the truth so hard to get pics to show what tank actually looks like i wish i can get good pics yet i have no interest in a 500$ camera when i can spend that on fish and corals