Return pump question

Steve1986

I'm trying to set up a fish tank in my living room. I want to put my sump in my basement which gives it about 25 feet of head pressure on the return pump. Return pumps can get pretty expensive with that kind of head pressure capability. My question is can I use a regular swimming pool pump for my return pump? I know some people turn their pools into saltwater swimming pools, do they swap out equipment? I've seen some 1/2 or 1 H.P. Pumps on Craigslist pretty cheap. Thanks for the info.

jayjerk

Premium member
I've seen pool pumps used on large aquarium set ups before. I believe it was a 800g setup(Store.)

Only if the intake housing and impeller are all plastic, most pump have a metal shaft, but it's behind a seal. If you have a seal failure and the water leaks past the seal,the saltwater will come in contact with the metal shaft which is made out of steel or brass and pump into you tank. Pool pump are a lot louder then aquarium pumps and use a lot of electric and run a lot hotter. I used one on a 500 gal tank and it was nothing but problems.I got rid of it after the second seal blew . New seals are like $60 and a pain in the ass to change on the pump i had. Always a bolt the had rusted and cant get it off or you break one