Return Pumps: 1X MAG24 or 2XMAG18's???

mlreef

Should I go with a single MAG24 return pump from my sump, or 2 MAG 18's? I have 2 (1") returns going back into the tank.

I don't want the turnover rate to be too high, also keep in mind that I have a closed loop as well that is at least 12X - 15X turnover in 450 gallons.

Thanks for any help.

FishBeard

Aim for about double the lph of water turnover rate as the lph of air draw your skimmer is capable of. This seemed to be the general recommendation from several skimmer manufacturers I contacted when deciding on the skimmer for my 180.

lunacris

The larger mag 24 is loud lots of vibrations and loud the smaller is loud but not nearly as bad I used a 18 and 24 on my 210 for a bit heat wasn't a issue at all also having.g two is nice for back up like said earlier

RedDevil.258

In sump pumps do have their pros and con's. I just prefer external so that I can hard plumb them. That being said should be no problem at all using two return pumps.

gig

Not a big fan of using Mags as they produce heat... Look into the quite one pumps ;)
I used a mag24 in my system, approx 240 gallon,to run my skimmer. It did heat the water in that many gallons....go with an external reeflo ftw.

mlreef

Air draw on the skimmer is 4000 Lph so double that would be 8000 Lph , so about 2116 gph return pump. So with that being said, the two mag 18's would be the pump of choice considering 7 feet of head loss. Thanks guys and gals.