ridding zoanthid frags of algae?

AForys

I've tried fresh water dip for 5 mins, scared to do it any longer as some of these frags aren't cheap!

Curious to know what you've tried and have been successful. I've heard peroxide? Freshwater, but how long? Any tips would be great!

Smitty

Premium member
I've done the peroxide dip many times with positive results. I usually do a 50/50 mix of tank water and peroxide, and let the frag/rock sit in the solution for 3-5mins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trackfast

Princess Trainer
If you're worried about it stressing the zoas too much you can try a 50/50 mix with tank water. I've done 100% peroxide and the zoas recovered fine after a few days. I usually dip for five minutes.

jrwoltman

If you have access to zebra reef hermit crabs, they will solve your problem. A few years ago, I had an acan rock that suffered an algae invasion and when I was finally ready to give up hope, I picked up about 20 zebra hermits (they are small) and put them and the rock in a pyrex measuring cup in the tank. They could not climb out and the only thing for them to eat was the algae growing on the coral. They devoured it completely and DID NOT harm the coral in any way. Good luck!!!

AForys

hrmmmm....I like the natural method! thanks, but if I can't find them hermits tomorrow I will try the peroxide method. sooner the better as this is for a growout, the zoa is doing great but this stuff grows fast...and I have a low nitrate and phosphate tank. thanks everyone. pink krakotoas ! pretty lil zoo