Rio pump running REALLY hot

Mooney190

Hey everyone, I bought a Rio pump to upgrade the original one from my Coralife Biocube 29, and ever since, my tank has been running 3-4 degrees warmer. It wasn't until recently that I put 2 and 2 together, and realized it was this pump. Does anyone know of any pump that has good output, but runs cooler? I don't have room to install a chiller.

And to put it in perspective, I keep my condo at 70-71 degrees, tank is not in direct sunlight, and it hits almost 84 degrees of I don't keep the pump side and feeder side flaps open.

fredfish13

i had both a 14 and 29 biocube. the temps usually run hotter in the summer. you could try a marineland/cobalt 1200 pump to see if that helps Bottom line, i had to jimmy rig a fan on both setups in the summer. the hood fan only could do so much. i had both flaps open and secured 2 computer fans on piece of egg crate that would blow across the top of the water. this was hooked up to my controller and would go on when temps went above 80. water will evaporate more, so make sure to have an ato.

ultimatemj

I had a similar experience with a Rio pump heating up the tank.

A CR member that has moved from Chicago pointed me to the Coral Vue Water Blaster pumps at one of our sponsors. They are on the expensive side of things, but not crazy expensive and you get a lot for your money. They run very efficiently (low power draw) and put off no noticeable heat. The one I bought has been running without a hiccup for 3yrs!

As part of disaster planning, I bought a second (after 2yrs) and put it on the shelf as insurance for when it does eventually fail...no hesitation recommending the Water Blaster HY series pumps.