RKL Level 3 (ReefKeeper Lite)

xtlosx

So today was the day..... I had to finally clean up my **** stand with the multiple power strips, big clunky timers (3 timers), and just an absolute mess...

I decided to take the plunge and get the ReefKeeper Lite Level 3... I picked up up locally @ Aquacave for $265.00 and so far, I have to say it's worth every single penny!

Here is the box..

Unboxed... with the Level3 you get..

- The head unit for the RKL.
- 2x PC4 modules ( 4 outlet power strips each outlet individually controllable).
- 1x SL1 Module (Provides for the temperature probe, salinity probe, ORP, and pH probe connections).
- 1x pH probe (haven't calibrated this yet, too late tonight and will do it this weekend when I clean the stand up entirely.
- 1x iTEMP probe (temperature probe included).
- 1x pH probe (included with the level 3 kit).
- buncha cables to hook it all together and mounting screws.

First impression, it seems overwhelming, but the quick start guide took me 10 minutes to program both of my LED fixtures... This allowed me to finally do a more gradual sunrise\sunset... Before this, both of my blue lights turned on @ 8AM, and white on @ 9AM. The whites went off at 6PM, and blue off at 7PM. The night lights were on from 6:30, including the fuge lights, and off at 8AM again.

Now I can turn the first blue on at 8:00AM, second at 8:30, first white at 9:00, second white at 9:30, turn off a white at 5:30, and another at 6, then first blue off at 6:30, then off entirely at 7PM...

This is a great addition for this feature above alone... the temp probe is above, which will in the future allow me to control a fan should my temp get too hot (not implemented in my setup yet), pH probe, salinity probe, etc, etc....

Pros

- Everything!!
- Super easy setup, and didn't take long at all. I googled and read some reviews... some people said it took them hours to figure it out, and I had the above lighting scheme setup, tested, and working within 25 minutes. Easy!!!!

Cons

- Nothing yet. I will update it, should I run into anything.

I plan on calibrating the pH probe this weekend, actually screwing everything to the inside of my stand, cleaning up these long lighting cables, zip tying them, etc, etc, etc... Lots of work ahead of me, but so far, already cleaned up my cabinet.

At some point down the road, I will pick up the salinity probe, and also the NET module so that I may get email\SMS alerts should something go screwy and I am out of the house. Another thing I was looking at a module that will tell me when my skimmer cup is full, and send me a SMS on that as well.

Overall, the RKL does come with a cost, but the amount of automation possible is absolutely worth it. Let's face it though, nothing in this hobby is cheap... If we wanted cheap, we'd be keeping goldfish.

Let me know if anyone wants more pics, but I will certainly post some more when my stand is cleaned up :) Thanks for reading!

xtlosx

sounds like it was worth every penny!
Indeed... My wife actually told me to splurge and get it!! I was actually just going to initially get a coralife digital timer surge bar thingie, but this is SO much geekier!

xtlosx

Nice!!! I'll follow this thread as I'm interested in the device as well. Keep us posted.
Will do! There are many things that I want to implement here... Hoping my review can help some of you guys in making a decision on whether or not to pick one of these up...

The one feature I need to figure out how to use is the wave maker... I currently use the Red Sea Wavemaker Pro, but would love to transfer everything to this device... Just don't know if it's going to do what I want yet, or it could be that I haven't actually read up enough about it, and it's time for a cocktail! Stick a fork in me tonight.

xtlosx

So I woke up this morning, and watched my right blue turn on....... so nice to see half of my reef baked in a darkness, and one side bright blue.....

Who else wakes up at 8AM to see some lights turn on? :)

xtlosx

I just mainly wanted to make sure the programming I did last night actually worked, and can say so far it worked just fine.. The other blue half of the blues will turn on at 8:30, and I actually like this gradual stepped up approach much more. This should simulate more of a real reef type atmosphere than what I had before.

xtlosx

OK, so finally had some inspiration to get it all mounted today.... and hopefully will also be calibrating the pH probe this evening too...

So I don't have any before pictures, but imagine two power strips, 5' long LED fixture cables, and just even more cables galore, all just shoved into a stand...

This is what it looks like now... I realize the cable bunches aren't pretty, but everything is off the ground, drip loops on everything, and out of waters way!! I'm very happy, and no tangling messes. I pulled all of the cables, re-routed them! FINALLY!!!

Like I said, it might not be pretty, but I had to contend with all of these cables being like 4-5' long, so just had to zip tie the **** out of them into manageable bunches.

DanSreef

Premium member
Hi Tom. I have a RKL SL1 kit I bought from Marine Depot a few months ago. I really like it. I am able to monitor PH, Temp....run different pumps and have a programmed Standby which is useful for water changes and feeding.

I think one of the coolest features is the ATO. I purchased a float valve and a diaphram pump and I pull topoff from a five gal jug. I am able to control everything with the RKL.

I am thinking about getting a second unit for my Seahorse tank.

I also like programming alarms. For instance, if the temp goes too high....like a heater malfunctioning....it is programmed to set off an alarm and disable the heater outlet. If it gets too cold....again...and alarm. If the PH drops too far...or is too high...again...alarms. The RKL is nice... I think you will find it very useful.

xtlosx

I finally calibrated the pH probe today, and it is showing my pH as 8.0, which my API test kits were telling me, so I am feeling pretty good about it right now!

Whenever I get some cash, the salinity probe is next! I love this thing!

xtlosx

Does anyone bother with the orp probe? I realize most people don't even know what their orp levels are... Is it just a waste, and better to go with salinity probe.

Logan 12

ORP=oxidation reduction poteintial, otherwise refered to as "the marine aquarium early warning system." the higher the ORP in # the higher the systems potential for breaking down organic mater. If the ORP reading drops for some reason out of it's normal range this warns the hobbiest that something is going on in the aquarium; This disturbance in # is caused by the remineralization of abundant organic material by heterotrophic bacteria that is consuming the oxidation agents in the tank (solution) at a greater rate than usual. In other words the ORP is being reduced in #. So ya it's important if you understand what it is telling you.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I have a RKL too and love it. The ATO w/ float valve is my favorite feature. Plus it's nice to know that the heater won't get any electricity sent to it unless it's programmed to be on. Once you hit your desired temp, the electricity is cut off to the heater (i.e. no risk of cooking the tank).
Please let me know how you like the NET module and if it's worth the price tag.