RO/DI Unit test levels

DJE

About a month ago I replaced all my filters to my ro/di unit. It was just under 9 months old. Anyway, today I tested my phosphates on the ro/di water and it came out to 0.08. My water pressure is only 35psi. Could this be why?

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Thats a very low PSI.. You might need a pump to get better PSI. Just not sure about the phosphates.. Could be the container being used

More will chime in and help

DJE

Thats a very low PSI.. You might need a pump to get better PSI. Just not sure about the phosphates.. Could be the container being used

More will chime in and help
Im getting the rodi water straight from the tubing so it's not even making it to the bucket. I just might go ahead and order the pump from BRS since the psi is really low.

I tested with the Hanna Checker and it has ±0.04 ppm ±4% of reading accuracy. So now I'm not sure if I have .04 or .12.

I read somewhere that if my tds is 0 then there shouldn't be any phosphates however if the hanna checker has ±0.04 ppm ±4% accuracy then is my hanna checker the problem. My reagent is fairly new, just got about a month ago from BRS and it's not expired.

Captmrbles

what is the TDS of the tap water you are using and the TDS after it is filtered? Here is a link to some info on how RO/DI works. Perhaps one of your filters is not working properly. I would check to see if something is not seeded properly, aka take everything apart and put it back together ensuring that are no places for water to sneak by without being filtered. Have you measured all the other post filter levels or just po?

DJE

what is the TDS of the tap water you are using and the TDS after it is filtered? Here is a link to some info on how RO/DI works. Perhaps one of your filters is not working properly. I would check to see if something is not seeded properly, aka take everything apart and put it back together ensuring that are no places for water to sneak by without being filtered. Have you measured all the other post filter levels or just po?
My TDS of tap water is 156 and after the DI it's 0. I will check out the link and see if Im missing something. Thanks

Captmrbles

If your tds is 0 then one of your tests is off. Either you TDS meeter or your probe. Have you tried getting a po reading with a test kit? Are you currently experiencing unwanted algae growth?

DJE

If your tds is 0 then one of your tests is off. Either you TDS meeter or your probe. Have you tried getting a po reading with a test kit? Are you currently experiencing unwanted algae growth?

So I flipped the tds meter to the tap water side and it comes out to the same reading of 156 and then put it back on the out of the DI and it reads 0. Im going to order a different test kit and take it from there.

I am not experiencing any algae outbreaks(knock on wood). I probably clean the glass once a week and its very minimal. Ill see what results I get from a different test kit.

SkullV

0 TDS doesn't necessarily mean 0 TDS. It just means that it is the lowest range that your TDS meter can read.

SkullV

The only one that you can get a REALLY good reading from is the low range Hannah Checker. The rest of them its almost impossible to differentiate from 0 and the rest of the low range. If not hannah and you want to chance one of them I would go with Salifert, LaMotte, or Red Sea Pro.

DJE

Ok. I have the Hanna low range so maybe I'll just get another box of the reagent pack.