ro water

jeepsdoitall

ok i have recently decided to stop using tap water and use ro now what do i put in the water before i put it in my tank, besides salt of course

SaylorsReef

RO water is Reverse Osmosis that has been filtered through an RO or RODI system. You don't need to put anything in the water after it comes out of the filter.

jeepsdoitall

yeah i think this guy in town doesnt know much about salt he claims to have 20 years in the fish biz but i went to his other shop back in the day and it was freshwater only thats y i dont buy fish from him they always look sickly and i see dead ones in his salt tank frequently so i only buy the grown up fish that people bring in they only spend a day or two in his tank

jeepsdoitall

i dont have a lot of coral just a large finger coral and some of those small red mushrooms nothing delicate, the coralife has trace elements and no phosphates

mr_z

yeah you have to be really careful with the lfs they do want to take your money sometimes if you dont do your research. if you go into aquatica and talk to them i noticed they tell the truth. and one of the guys there will even tell you straight up that he doesnt care if you believe or if you buy their stuff because its pricey. but always try to do your research before you go in thats why i joined this forum i like to ask alot of questions before i go buy.

Pufferpunk

Be sure you only use RO water (unsalted) to top off your tank. Have you purchased a RODI filtration system yet?

jcarlilesiu

I started out with coralife salt and switched over to Reef Crystals.

The only things that I supplement are iodine between water changes and kalkwasser if calcium drops.

Usually my water change stabilizes everything with trace, but if I don't do a water change often enough :)director: DO WATER CHANGES) then I have to dose.

Smitty

Premium member
I always buffer my ro water (that I use for top offs) to 8.0, because water is naturally a ph of 7.0, but if I'm using the ro water to make saltwater, I don't buffer it, because it stabilizes with the salt mix.

fastrc

I use iodine in my reef for my zoa's, I test it every week.
It helps my zoas grow like wild fire!

scotty

if you do weekly water changes, you wont need to up iodine in your setup, until you are overstocked to a point that you are using the elements before you do a water change, which is why a lotta people here do that, if you look at their setups, i bet their dosing more than just iodine.