Rock Scaping....

xtlosx

I'm looking to rock scape new 60G cube and we really want to do something dramatic in there... I was thinking of building up the back wall with rocks almost to the height of the tank, then having little shelves, etc for corals....

For the dramatic part, I was thinking doing an arch from the back wall, that would go into the middle area of the tank,then just stop, and hang out there... I'm not sure but we're going for a deep reef with un-even characteristics...

The other arch that would be on the other side of the tank, would maybe go from the back wall, to the sand bed, or something like that. Maybe make some caves on the sand bed as well...

Another random idea I had was to do a tripod type arch that met up in the middle, with a back wall as well....

Anyways, the question is.. What is the best way to scape this, tool wise? I was thinking of getting heady live rock, ultra premium, coraline, and wicked colors for the bottom part of the back wall, then getting a bunch of base rock to stack on top to make the back wall. The arches would both be base rock as well. Does it make sense to drill through the base rock and use some sort of rod with epoxy to hold it all together and create the arch? Should I use the reef epoxy to hold the back wall together? What is the best stuff to use for something like this?

Thanks guys, my Wife wants dramatic, and with the tank being in the kitchen area and being a centerpiece of our home, dramatic will be sweet :)

jcarlilesiu

My personal opinion is to make something that looks natural. If you could take a large knife to a reef and cut a section out to match your tank size, what would it look like?

I don't know if a sculpted arch will look very natural. Just my opinion.

xtlosx

Well everyone has their own preferences on rockscapes, etc, so I have heard all of the arguments.. I'm more or less trying to figure out what equipment people use to make arches, or just put live rock together...

I have seen hydraulic cement, reef putty, and all kinds of stuff. I just want to avoid things that are harmful to my reef

jcarlilesiu

Well everyone has their own preferences on rockscapes, etc, so I have heard all of the arguments.. I'm more or less trying to figure out what equipment people use to make arches, or just put live rock together...

I have seen hydraulic cement, reef putty, and all kinds of stuff. I just want to avoid things that are harmful to my reef
I see.

Mine is all loose scaped and just stacked.

Probably not the best method, but with 200 pounds in there, I need to have the flexibility to easily move it if necessary.

Mine is stacked in a horse-shoe configuration around the side and back glass.

Pufferpunk

Scott Fellman did a great presentation on aquascaping at a CMAS meeting a couple of months ago. He suggests using PVC rods through the rock for stacking & overhangs.

xtlosx

Scott Fellman did a great presentation on aquascaping at a CMAS meeting a couple of months ago. He suggests using PVC rods through the rock for stacking & overhangs.
Depending on how much of an arch overhang we do, hydraulic cement ought to hold that in place just nicely :) I intend on picking up 10-15 lbs of base rock today and start to play around with stacking and figuring out how I want it to look. When I get that all cemented together, and looking nice, I'll pick up some good live rock, set the base rock on top, cement it together, and let the magic start!

Stonefish13

Yep for arches you definitely need to use some sort of rod. There was a video I watched not too long ago and it was drilling through the rock and using a flexible pvc rod and epoxy. It's the most secure way in my opinion to construct a permanent arch. I do stone work as part of my job and we use stainless steel pins and epoxy all the time to construct things that hang on high rises in downtown Chicago. I personally like the way arches look and make sure you post a diy thread with pics so we can see your progress.

xtlosx

Yep for arches you definitely need to use some sort of rod. There was a video I watched not too long ago and it was drilling through the rock and using a flexible pvc rod and epoxy. It's the most secure way in my opinion to construct a permanent arch. I do stone work as part of my job and we use stainless steel pins and epoxy all the time to construct things that hang on high rises in downtown Chicago. I personally like the way arches look and make sure you post a diy thread with pics so we can see your progress.
Well one of the interesting ideas I was thinking to do was, get a pvc rod, take some bigger pieces of base rock, break it into smaller pieces, and basically putty\concrete those around the rod when it is bent.. That way it will look like a broken arch, might be neat in my opinion..

This is all a learning process for me, but I'm just picking up the necessary base rock to make it happen right now :) I will be working on the scaping next week.

Stonefish13

That could work. The rod would provide stability while still being flexible enough to bend into the desired shape. Good luck I think it will turn out great.

scotty

because it is a cube, im gonna look it up and link it here, but the "tree" mushroom cloud look... I LOVE IT. Ill get a picture up here ina minute, it emulates a natural occurring formation in shallow waters.

xtlosx

I can't wait!

I just threw something together that i actually like.. I'm not sure if I'm going to put it straight from side to side, or from back corner, to front left corner.....

I am going to build on it with heady local live rock, and maybe maybe a little arch to a front island. So far I like it, although everything looks nice after a few glasses of The Macallan.

BradB

Premium member
You could use a Dremel tool to drill holes through the base rock and use black zip ties to hold them together.

Good luck..

xtlosx

Thanks! I will either be doing that, or some hydraulic cement to hold everything together. I appreciate everyones' input!

xtlosx

because it is a cube, im gonna look it up and link it here, but the "tree" mushroom cloud look... I LOVE IT. Ill get a picture up here ina minute, it emulates a natural occurring formation in shallow waters.

That is REALLY badass looking!

xtlosx

I actually came up with something pretty sweet (in my opinion at least). When my wife gets home and she can take a picture of my newest creation (I can't hold these rocks and take pictures all at the same time)....

This might be the one ladies & gents!

xtlosx

Here is the one idea.. I'm thinking of making the rock go from the back right corner, to the front left corner... This is the less dramatic one..... I have one more when my wife gets back..

Don't mind the Husky, he's always wondering what the hell I'm doing and giving me funny looks..

xtlosx

OK, scratch that.... This is what I've decided.. I'm going to take the scape below, and add a little island on the front, and possibly connect it like I did the one on the left. That will all be done with nice live rock once what you see here is attached. I'm going to use hydraulic cement, with syringes to get into the spots I need to get to.

Alrighty, I'm done with pictures until the concrete is applied, and it is going in the tank.. Plumbing is happening tomorrow, so get ready!