Rodi

conchman

Premium member
Hey all. Going thru remodel in our only kitchen and bath. Had to take down RODI unit last night. Anyone have suggestions for backup plan for makeup and W/C. Is the stuff from your average supermarket ok? LFS? Bathroom will be down for 3-4 weeks, rest for a couple of more.

TIA
Matt

Cubano32

Premium member
Hey all. Going thru remodel in our only kitchen and bath. Had to take down RODI unit last night. Anyone have suggestions for backup plan for makeup and W/C. Is the stuff from your average supermarket ok? LFS? Bathroom will be down for 3-4 weeks, rest for a couple of more.

TIA
Matt
I hook mine up to my hose in my backyard everytime I need water

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I hook mine up to my hose in my backyard everytime I need water

This is a good for a temp situation like yours. No worries about overfilling either ! :)

Have you thought of a more permanent set-up for your RODI? I installed a saddle valve into the cold water line coming into the house.

Cubano32

Premium member
This is a good for a temp situation like yours. No worries about overfilling either ! :)

Have you thought of a more permanent set-up for your RODI? I installed a saddle valve into the cold water line coming into the house.
So I live in a one story house no basement and my laundry room barely big enough for my washer and dryer so there isnt really permanent setup here at this house but next house will have a basement and fish room

930reef

Agree on LFS being a good, relatively cheap source depending on the size of your tank and your water needs per week.

If you don't want to go through the (minor-ish) hassle of adapting it to a 5/8 hose bib, then I'd go LFS if it's temporary. If you need cheap water jugs, Menards sells 4 gallons full of RO (not RODI) for around 5 or 6 bucks. I just use those jugs. Not a great size at 4 gallon, but way cheaper than the 16 dollar walmart ones because no deposit. The Menards ones are green and at the front of the store, usually right next to the exit inside.

I believe supermarket is usually RO, but not DI. Phosphates and such can be a problem here without the DI stage. Someone else can correct me here if I'm wrong, but that's what I've heard. Those last 10 or so PPM that the DI takes out can cause problems.

Last edited:

conchman

Premium member
Won’t have outside water available until kitchen goes back up. We are on slab, so only water line cuts to kitchen under concrete. When I re-install I will try and move closer to main water in, in our laundry room. I had it under the kitchen sink, saddle valved. So, sounds like, LFS unless I want to chance phosphates from the others. Only need maybe 8 gallons a week...

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Won’t have outside water available until kitchen goes back up. We are on slab, so only water line cuts to kitchen under concrete. When I re-install I will try and move closer to main water in, in our laundry room. I had it under the kitchen sink, saddle valved. So, sounds like, LFS unless I want to chance phosphates from the others. Only need maybe 8 gallons a week...
I got RO water from the local grocery store (Butera) when I first filled my tank. The price was right and I think the TDS was around 5 (?).

ssky

If LFS is not close by, I would suggest getting it from Walmart or any other grocery store. The change of phosphates will be tiny and in few weeks you will be back to normal. don't sweat too much on it.

Jacinta

conchman

Premium member
So back online with RODI. Before I had it permenently mounted under kitchen sink with the saddle valve. When all that got ripped up they shut the main off in the house to do the work. Finally just got water got turned on I am just connecting re-connecting to the washer hook up. It is now located in the laundry room in its own cabinet. Plumber is going to t into the cold line there for permanent hook up. Made it thru mostly ok. No issues with corals. Small, very light hair algae growth, it’s already pulling back with two w/c’s done. Thanks all...