rtn or pest ?

lunacris

So few days ago i realized something was wrong in my 40br coral holding tank . a couple of my monti caps were showing signs of stress kinda ..so instead of freaking out and getting drastic right away i tested and came out that most of my levels are good except alk...5dkh ish. so i did some reading and asking folks and looks like my lazy habit of dosing alk and calc at same time threw level out of wack . maybe ? so today i come home and i think ive solved the rtn issue if i slowly raise alk all will be good right ? NOPE to easy as i look at the 2 monti showing this rtn i see something looks to be moving around the white spot on the monti . heres what i found .sry for weak photos but used my phone .

lunacris

and a pic of a diff one just found and the white spot in question lil bastard is at top right where the white ends

Sorry to say this man ,those r Montipora nudis. Try to find some radiant wrasse quick before I could recommend some medication. Take all the affected montis out, break it apart if u have to, inspect all the underside or the once sliming, turning white, trim/ scrub all infected areas, then dip the corals in separate bucket w/ heavy dose of lugols solution

lunacris

nope , and in all honesty im cool with ya ted but tjat comment is not needed , youve made your point and it is old . im not a fan of this person ethier but i dont see any gain in bashing to a person who isnt new . your usually very helpful and i appreciate that but take the bullshit to another thread .take it how you want , im all for joking but these comments are getting old and im not new here so no need to warn me of old news .
with that said anyone had the pleasure of dealing with these little terd ?

lunacris

thanks menard , would bayer do the trick ? i have that onsite and could do it as soon as dinner is done ?

SkullV

Alright alright, edited my post. Anyway, haven't had them personaly, but dipping alone and once won't do it. Once they hatch they are susceptible to dipping, but as eggs they are protected. The eggs will usually be on the underside of the colony. Scrape off what you can and continue dipping. Most people that deal with these seem to dip every 2-3 days for multiple weeks.

Rich130981

Alright alright, edited my post. Anyway, haven't had them personaly, but dipping alone and once won't do it. Once they hatch they are susceptible to dipping, but as eggs they are protected. The eggs will usually be on the underside of the colony. Scrape off what you can and continue dipping. Most people that deal with these seem to dip every 2-3 days for multiple weeks.
There is a new dip that advertises it kills eggs and pest. Called rps

The reefer

NO! That's sucks Chris. If there is a chance u can find one, a radiant wrasse would help. And start dipping and brushing the bottom side. For a couple of weeks I hope it's just a couple and they haven't laid eggs yet. I also read somewhere that dealing with pest it's good to keep ur frags off the rock and sand( if u have frag racks) hopefully the nudis will have a harder time finding them and mayb starve.
Good luck

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
I've got a hell of a strong laser if you want the satisfaction of frying one or two. It won't help erradicate them realistically, but might get rid of some stress.

maidia

Team CR
If Ostrow (Joel) here he will tell you about the wrasse. He got the radiant do nothing but another wrasse he told me (sorry forgot it call) take care all the pest he got. Cris sorry abouthe nudi..You may try to PM here or over reef central.

lunacris

ok so i bought a 6 line , did a 6 min bayer dip 10ml per 4 oz of tank water . and rinsed in more tank water and scrubbed each monti frag with a tooth brush . . i wouldnt be so worried if i didnt have a few dozen diff monti . but its the hobby always something . ill keep this updated until i feel theres nothing left to update . thanks for all the help guys. i am waiting till the bayer dip settles and hopefully lightens up cause it looks like milk cant tell if i got any yet .

lunacris

thanks , also glad it was in holding tank instead of the dt . all that rock and suchwould have been 10x worse and prob wouldnt have noticed until way out of control .

madjoe

Premium member
Dude that sucks save the monties good luck never had those but ya sure bayor will work just gitta do bunch if times in case of eggs