Salinity!

jvermeulen

Premium member
My salinity is at 36! What do I do to get it back to 25?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Milhouse

Premium member
Slowly, and i mean SLOWLY remove some tank water with a cup and throw it away. Replace it with fresh RO/DI water. Sounds like you have been topping off with saltwater and not fresh.

Depending on the size of your tank, i would say do a solo cup in the morning and one in the afternoon.

maidia

Team CR
If you are at 36 ppt then you are Ok why go down to 25 ppt. If it's 1.036 then slowly change water little by little with RO/DI water (not drop down in one day)..

jvermeulen

Premium member
I just bought a salinity meter today all I saw was it Go to 36 I'll check again when I get home in a min. I have 28g nano cube

ColaAddict

1st if your tank looks fine, don't do drastic changes or you will crash your tank. Make slow changes.
Make sure your tool is calibrated!
If it's high and your tank looks like crap, then drop it fast.
If it's 36ppm, then you can drop it to 35ppm. Doesn't matter if it's fast or slow, since it's pretty close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Water

It's a 28 gal nano your water volume is so small it doesn't take much evaporation and your salinity is going to change.
You can just take a bucket of water with no salt in it set at a higher point than tank and pretend your drip acclimating a fish (1/4 " air hose works great) and remove water from the tank until the level desired is reached . Goal is .023 for fish only and .025-.026 for a reef and one of those plastic hydrometers actual work being I use both a plastic cheap one and high grade side by side and are extremely close in fact plastic never gets out of calibration.

Last edited:

Top Water

Almost perfect get that arrow on the next line lower 1.026 where the red starts and your there
Your salinity may fluctuate a little as long as nothing extreme and sudden .
That's the plastic hygrometer I use side by side with my good one.
QUOTE=jvermeulen;232616]View attachment 1002 here's where it's at, is this ok?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

skunkmere

you can let it drop to 1.025. take 2 cups a day and let your ato fill with water. its not a huge thing at all, but get refractometer next time you got some cash.

Top Water

Add a little top off water with no salt remove a little from tank as needed
If you are ever in Lockport you can stop by and I can answer any questions and show you on one of my systems
How do I get it to that lower line?

Last edited: