Salt crystal sea marine mix

bennyblanco

HI -
I just finished my big bucket of reef crystals and will start using this salt soon. How is everyone liking it? Any good suggestions on mixing it? I'll just be using it for water changes. Is there is a simple recipe like 1/2 cup per gallon to go by?

Pretty much just curious to hear your experiences.

Thank you!
Brett

FishBeard

I start with 1/3 cup per gallon, let that mix until clear and check. Add as needed. Sometimes I need to add more or less depending on current level in my tanks.

SkullV

Love it. My corals loved it, my fish didn't seem any different. It is MUCH cleaner than Reef Crystals.

BADGUS

Ive been using it 8months and have no plans on changing it.Gets expensive doing 60g weekly water changes.

bennyblanco

Great, Thanks Everyone! Reef crystals was easy to mix at 1/2 cup per gallon to get me close then add a little if necessary to hit 1.025. I'll figure it out pretty quickly. It definitely seems cleaner than the RC even just by looking at it!

Gus...you're nuts! 60 Gallons a week! That must keep you busy! :) Do you just fill a garbage can or something?

SkullV

I'll do one in a half hour. Would you prefer Salifert or Red Sea Pro for Cal/Alk? I only have Salifert for Mg.

SkullV

1.025 Heated to 77* Mixing for 24 hours:

• Calcium - 375ppm (Salifert)
  • Alkalinity - 9.45dKH (Salifert)
  • Magnesium - 1200 (Salifert)

Lower than I thought, but the coral/tank sure seemed/seems happy!

poidog

Ya. Low calc and mg. would need to supplement right off the bat in a full blown reef.

Thanks for The testing!

bennyblanco

Definitely a little lower than I as expecting on the Calcium and Mag. I auto top off with kalk so my calcium should be okay but it looks like I'll need to dose some mg. Thanks for running the numbers!

bennyblanco

I just did my first water change tonight with this salt and it mixed easily. I'll post some updates as I do more water changes and what I'm seeing in my tank.