salt mix

Jimbojames

What salt do you guys use and where do you get it from and how much $$$? How many gallons will a 5 gallon bucket make?

DD

"Rambo"
I just bought a bucket of red sea coral pro. I think the bucket makes like 175 gallons.

I've tested a freshly made bucket and all the levels are really high(really close to what they claim), which is what I was going for.

I think it was $60 and some change shipped from DFS.

tkh

I've heard to take it slow when shifting from one salt to another - just how slowly, and how do you go about doing this? Just slowing adding one cup of the new salt at a time is what I understand, but having never done it before, I am curious what others have done?

$77 for 225g sounds like a good deal though, especially given the word is that salinity mixes at 35ppt, rather than 33ppt or so which is what most other mixes state when giving gallons made.

sparky5785

I've heard to take it slow when shifting from one salt to another - just how slowly, and how do you go about doing this? Just slowing adding one cup of the new salt at a time is what I understand, but having never done it before, I am curious what others have done?

$77 for 225g sounds like a good deal though, especially given the word is that salinity mixes at 35ppt, rather than 33ppt or so which is what most other mixes state when giving gallons made.
Yes salinity actually mixes out to 35ppt. Actually it says 7 cups makes 15 gallons at 35ppt and usually that's too strong and I have to add a gallon or two of water to get down to 35ppt so for me it actually makes more than the 225g per bucket

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

hoju74

I just bought a bucket of red sea coral pro. I think the bucket makes like 175 gallons.

I've tested a freshly made bucket and all the levels are really high(really close to what they claim), which is what I was going for.

I think it was $60 and some change shipped from DFS.
I also Red Sea Coral Pro. Do you dose 2 part ? I'm asking because the alk in this salt mixes pretty high, and I'm wondering what effect that'll have if I want to keep my alk at 8.5-9.

Herbie

Banned
Tropic Marin pro reef. Remember Aquacave will match any online price you can find if they carry the same item.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DD

"Rambo"
I also Red Sea Coral Pro. Do you dose 2 part ? I'm asking because the alk in this salt mixes pretty high, and I'm wondering what effect that'll have if I want to keep my alk at 8.5-9.
I literally just got the bucket a week or so ago. I do dose two part via a dosing unit. It maintains my alk at around 11dkh.

tinman

I literally just got the bucket a week or so ago. I do dose two part via a dosing unit. It maintains my alk at around 11dkh.
i realized that too.. the alk in redseacoral pro is good (around 11dkh or something but the calcium is only around 460 or so..

im guessing those numbers should be fine. isnt it ?? ill get cal,alk and mag levels in fresh mix possible today evening.

jm23

IMO/IME you are slowly switching the tank over to the next salt when you do a partial water change. Now if you do 50% WC maybe you should mix the two salts, but I normally do 20% and have never had an issue switching over salts. The one thing you have to start watching is your dosing method as the new salts most likely contains different levels and you will need to adjust accordingly.

I used Coralife for 9 months and it was great, I decided to give RC a chance and while it seems to be doing fine, I haven't seen any major differences and will be switching back to Coralife again, due to the salt mixing up a lot closer to my parameters and it being more cost effective.

Jimbojames

Thanks guys, what pump do u use to mix salt and remove water? Mj1200? Anyone got something i can buy to mix salt and load into buckets

sparky5785

Thanks guys, what pump do u use to mix salt and remove water? Mj1200? Anyone got something i can buy to mix salt and load into buckets
I have an extra chinese ebay pump I ise the other one for mixing and exchanging water. Needs 3/4" hose. Its yours for $10.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2