Salt water resistant screws?

I have a tank with a canopy and bought some new light modules that need to be mounted within the canopy. Note that there is an acrylic sheet between the water and the lights. The new lighting module requires a larger head screw. I was going to use some screws I found in my tool bag, but thought perhaps there are some screws that are better around salt water. What material would they be made of?

Yes? Would they be available at home depot?

Thanks in advance

SkullV

Are they screws or can you use like hex head/button head bolts? Stainless from Home Depot/Ace would work just fine

I think just screws - the canopy has some little wooden blocks I think glued to the acrylic canopy. The lights are mounted on the wooden blocks - the new light modules are just a bit shorter than the old ones.

theboy

stainless will corrode if you buy them from menards or home depot. Go on mcmaster carr and get 316 stainless. These will resist salt water a lot better but i cant guarantee they wont rust eventually. Titanium or plastic is your best bet but depending on the screw youll be paying $10-30 a piece.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Are nylon thumb screws 1/4"-20 an option? Maybe just a drill bit and tap are needed to switch over and avoid metal all together.

Hmm so much to think about. The original screws are at least three years old and show no sign of rust, etc. so I will try stainless steel!