salt

SkunkerX

Just want to know what every one thinks about this. I use oceanic salt for now and I usually get the 200 gallon bucket but lately I have be getting 2 bags @125 gallon each total of 250 gallons of mix for $5 more than the buckets BUT ever since I have been using salt from the bags instead of from the bucket my calcium has been way lower than it used to be, I was just wondering if it could be the salt even know its the same salt but one comes in a bag and the other in a bucket. I have got more corals since I have changed to the bagged salt but they are all pretty much frags that are the new additions. I do 20 to 30 gallon water changes every 2 weeks. Had water tested at aquatica today and calcium was @ 370 usually was @ 420 to 450 magnesium was 1270 but never had that tested before and PH was a little low also @7.8 all of which I never had a problem with until I started using the bagged salt of the same brand name I usually use.

Douggie-Style

I have never had a problem and I am the evil man that uses tap water!

However, I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt.....It is a little more expensive but I have never had a problem with any of my parameters. I used to use Oceanic and my pH was alwys 7.8.....I stopped and I am finnaly 8.2

Good Luck!....There are a lot smarter people on her than me.

7Hogwarts

Premium member
Just a possibility. Do you mix your salt up before mixing it with water? Some things settle in shipping the buckets/bags. It can throw your parameters off by quite a bit. I had a bucket where I hit a "Hot Spot" my alk level went up to 13.1 dKH. Yikes! I always mix salt now.

SkunkerX

Well the only mixing that is done is when I dump the bag into a bucket then it stays in the bucket until it goes into the water. That is how I have done it every time so far and I'm on my 3rd bag. I never mixed it up when I got the buckets thou and my perimeters where always good.

Douggie-Style

Good call 7Hogwarts!.....I have never done that.

I have never had a real issue with my salt but that is a good solution if something does go wrong.