Saltwater Mixing Station Ideas for an Apartment

enzo1028

Premium member
A quick background on my situation:

I currently live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend. I'm looking for a more efficient way to prepare saltwater at my place. I currently do a 5 gallon bucket water change every week or every other week(depending if I remember to prep a bucket. I would like to try and make a more efficient system to have 10+ gallons of water prepped and available at all times.

My biggest limitations with living in an apartment are: space and access to water. The extra bedroom is vacant but stores a bunch of my girlfriends stuff. I currently use a long coat closet for most of my fish stuff. I have enough room to hold a couple stacks of buckets and a cabinet that holds all my reef stuff. Access to water is the biggest issue. I can't really drill holes in the wall to run a line for my RO unit. I thought about putting it under the sink in the bathroom or the kitchen but I don't really know enough about plumbing to do that. Currently I just unhook the nozzle in the bathroom and attach my RO unit and fill buckets in the bathtub.

My main questions:

• Have any ideas for a small(cheap) water container that is good for mixing water?
  • Ideas to save some time? Currently lugging out the RO unit, cleaninging buckets, and making 5 gallons at a time is a pain in the ass.
  • How easy is it to hook up a RO unit to a sink? How easy is it to unhook it for when I move out?
  • Does anyone in a similar situation have any other advice I didn't think to ask about?

Irsug1

Premium member
The RO unit is wall mountable with a few screws. You can get a under sink adapter that hooks up to the RO unit that you won't have to mess with. Brute totes or small garbage cans to store. Check out BRS online.

superchargedgp

Ro di unit in my laundry room. And i have 2 35 gallon brute containers on wheels in the garage. Just wheel them over to the tank and to fill it with rodi.

superchargedgp

When i lived in an apartment i had it under the sink. I still have all the connections and parts required. You can have them for free if you need them

A 10 gallon Brute is a common, cheap container. Fill it, add your salt. If you keep a small heater (keep it clear from the sides) and a small power head in it, should stay mixed and to-temp for whenever you need it.

If you one-up that, and attach a small pump on top (like an aqualifter), and run a little tubing, you can just switch on the pump and let it refill the tank for you.

--Aspiring reefer