Saltwater Mixing

Darienreefs7

I have a 32 gallon Brute trash can with 2 koralias and a heater for mixing salt. How long can I keep the salt mixing in the bucket? I've had it mixing for like 2 weeks and jw cause I have my first big water change this weekend.

jrpark22000

Premium member
4 weeks or more is good. I keep it for several weeks at a time with mixing pump only operating a couple hours a day via a timer. If it sits too long without a mixing pump it starts to smell like dirty socks. As long as you keep it covered to control evap, bacteria and other nasties from falling in, several weeks is common.

Darienreefs7

4 weeks or more is good. I keep it for several weeks at a time with mixing pump only operating a couple hours a day via a timer. If it sits too long without a mixing pump it starts to smell like dirty socks. As long as you keep it covered to control evap, bacteria and other nasties from falling in, several weeks is common.
I keep lid on all the time thanks for info. Another question I have is what type of salt maintains proper elements the best during mixing? Am I crazy or do some of the elements get depleted as you are mixing salt for a long period of time?

ColaAddict

I have a 30 gal brute that's always full of fresh saltwater. I only use 10 gal a week for water change. I Never had issues with storing saltwater long term. I Always have a power head going in the tank though.
If the brute is new, some elements will stick to it (some things just like to stick to plastic), but once it's saturated, it shouldn't pull anything else from the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darienreefs7

I have a 30 gal brute that's always full of fresh saltwater. I only use 10 gal a week for water change. I Never had issues with storing saltwater long term. I Always have a power head going in the tank though.
If the brute is new, some elements will stick to it (some things just like to stick to plastic), but once it's saturated, it shouldn't pull anything else from the water.

Cool it sounds like I mist have been doing things right. I've been using the Brute for my wc for about 6 mo now I think I'm gonna start mixing like 10-15 gallons at a time though.

Irsug1

Premium member

Interesting, I haven't thought of that. I've been wiping that stuff off on occasion. I guess I should leave it alone. .

jrpark22000

Premium member
Interesting, I haven't thought of that. I've been wiping that stuff off on occasion. I guess I should leave it alone. .
Depends on the salt mix too. RC is so full of organics if you don't regularly clean the brown build up, it starts to cake and fall off. An occasional 1/2gal vinegar and a wipe down with a bare hand removes most of it well enough.

tinman

Hmmmm I normally only mix water for about 3-4 days before I put in the tank. I never had problem this way . It's just I don't enough space to keep a large container mixing salt water continuously so I just pull what ever I need and mix it for 3-4 days and use it. I have about 2-3 gallons that's mixed occasionally like once 2 or 3 days but sits most of the time (this I use incase I pull some water out of tank and need saltwater topoff.

I must be doing things wrong then

Darienreefs7

Hmmmm I normally only mix water for about 3-4 days before I put in the tank. I never had problem this way . It's just I don't enough space to keep a large container mixing salt water continuously so I just pull what ever I need and mix it for 3-4 days and use it. I have about 2-3 gallons that's mixed occasionally like once 2 or 3 days but sits most of the time (this I use incase I pull some water out of tank and need saltwater topoff.

I must be doing things wrong then
Everyone has thier own way of doing things.