Same Salt Different Ratio

1fishjones

Premium member
Ok, so I open a new box of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, add the usual starting amount to my Brute, mix it up, check it with refractometer & it's no where near where it usually is at this point. I had used same exact salt to water ratio so I couldn't understand it.
I thought about this for a minute, hmm maybe my meter is off.
Too check this theory out I dug out the two Hydrometers I started out the hobby with & got the same results.
Tried the refractometer again, same thing, same measuring cup, same tub, same everything except for the result.
I continued on, by the time I got it up to 35 I had used between fifty to sixty percent more salt normal.
The water is RODI, the unit is only six months old, the Brute was filled to the same line as always. I'm wondering anyone else has had a similar experience, I'm stumped.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrpark22000

Premium member
really? My RC has always been right on, no more than a 1/2 cup difference when making 40gal, and I make that amount weekly for several years.

Curious, when you need more salt, are you seeing more calcium snow in the new saltwater?

SkullV

On a rare occasion I have had the heavier brine solution sink to the bottom leaving the less saturated solution on top where the sample was taken. By the time I was at 35ppt on top I was well over 40ppt at the bottom of the brute. I now have my mixing station plumbed to take water from the bottom of the brute and return it at both the top and middle to keep the solution 100% mixed.

Mjl714

I have not noticed any issues, I have a mixing station, and usually mix overnight. I've been considering increasing the mixing power, bigger pump.

Mjl714

Not that it should matter, but do you mix up your salt prior to adding into the RODI?

1fishjones

Premium member
Not sure what you mean by mixing up the salt prior. And no, not any more calcium snow. After I fill the Brute up to the line about six inches from the top using the RODI system I slowly add salt all the while stirring with a paddle. Once I reach the desired salinity I add a heater & circulation pump, cover, & leave it alone for at least 48 hours. After thinking about all this I just remembered I had added a half cap full of prime to the Brute before filling for the first time. Could this affect the result?

cet98

have you calibrated your refractometer lately?....also, temperature effects your SG readings as well....
personally I fill my brute with ro/di water, start my pump and heater at the half way point and add salt after the desired temp is reached...and I calibrate my refractometer every 3 months

1fishjones

Premium member
The refractometer was calibrated when first received six or seven months ago plus it checked out with both brands of Hydrometers I have on hand and the water from my tanks. As far as temperature goes I've done it this same way since the beginning so I don't think that's it. Right now the plan is to check temperature and salinity again in the morning then re-calibrate and try again. At this point I'm almost afraid to use this batch of water, I may just pitch it and try again, then if I get the same result I may just pitch the whole box. I'm not willing to loose anything when I can just go get new salt. Having to use that much extra salt has me freaked out. Who knows the whole box could have been contaminated with something during the manufacturing or shipping process. It's just not worth taking that chance. Thank you everyone for your input, I'll let you know how this turns out.

jrpark22000

Premium member
The refractometer was calibrated when first received six or seven months ago plus it checked out with both brands of Hydrometers I have on hand and the water from my tanks. As far as temperature goes I've done it this same way since the beginning so I don't think that's it. Right now the plan is to check temperature and salinity again in the morning then re-calibrate and try again. At this point I'm almost afraid to use this batch of water, I may just pitch it and try again, then if I get the same result I may just pitch the whole box. I'm not willing to loose anything when I can just go get new salt. Having to use that much extra salt has me freaked out. Who knows the whole box could have been contaminated with something during the manufacturing or shipping process. It's just not worth taking that chance. Thank you everyone for your input, I'll let you know how this turns out.

In the past I've read of people with single boxes of salt having ALK or CA problems. The people just emailed RC and they were pretty cool and helped them get replacement boxes. Can't hurt to try instead of just throwing it out .

pscheel

I had this problem a few years ago along with a box that had low mag and Foster's and Smith sent out a replacement. Since then, I check alk, Ca, mg on every bag I open. Also, mix the dry salt before actually mixing it with the RODI water. Hth

Mjl714

Not sure what you mean by mixing up the salt prior. And no, not any more calcium snow. After I fill the Brute up to the line about six inches from the top using the RODI system I slowly add salt all the while stirring with a paddle. Once I reach the desired salinity I add a heater & circulation pump, cover, & leave it alone for at least 48 hours. After thinking about all this I just remembered I had added a half cap full of prime to the Brute before filling for the first time. Could this affect the result?

I dry mix each bag or bucket to ensure all ingredients are evenly mixed, before mixing with water.

1fishjones

Premium member
Oh ok, I never though about that. I usually buy boxes then empty the bags into a bucket. I imagine that gives it a pretty good mixing.

Volcano1

I've also had issues this year with one box. It was way off.Usually it's fairly close in a 50 gallon mix, but always less than 1.025 at that ratio.I wish they had a little better quality control. It's a pain checking every batch.

1fishjones

Premium member
Thanks everyone, I had to take care of some last minute shopping this morning, now that I'm back I will follow all your advice. First I'll re-calibrate & check salinity, then the ALK & CA.
Then if everything is in range I guess I'll do a small water change?
What would you do?
I don't see any stains on the box, the bags were well sealed.
I don't know what I should do!
What if some disgruntled IO employee decided to sabotage the company, lol, I think I may be a little too paranoid about all this!

1fishjones

Premium member
It may have taken all day but it's done & the tank is "Looking Good".
Thanks again for all the help!
From now on I will be dry mixing all salt & checking the ALK & CA on every batch.