Sand Recommendation and Questions

yman182

I will soon be in need of some sand for my new tank (see build thread in my sig) I will have an mp10 and a wp20 in my tank. I am debating between the fiji pink and the special reef grade sand. I currently have the fiji pink in my 29G biocube and used to get sandstorms, but they stopped.

Any suggestions or recommendations on sand would be great!

Thank You,

Yury

CienFuegos

Premium member
I'm guessing you had the fine sand in the 29G. To be honest, I think my first question would be, what do you plan on keeping in your tank with regards to fish? Are you going to get any type of sand shifting goby for example.

I will soon be in need of some sand for my new tank (see build thread in my sig) I will have an mp10 and a wp20 in my tank. I am debating between the fiji pink and the special reef grade sand. I currently have the fiji pink in my 29G biocube and used to get sandstorms, but they stopped.

Any suggestions or recommendations on sand would be great!

Thank You,

Yury

jm23

I have the special grade reef sand and the gobies, wrasses, pistol shrimp all do just fine in it. I don't get sand storms because it is a large grain and would highly recommend it.

ColaAddict

I would only use either the Special Grade by CaribSea (but requires multiple rinsing), or Reeflakes. I like the larger grade sand because you don't get sandstorms.

yman182

Thanks for the suggestion guys! 3 more quick questions. For a 65G tank if I want a 1-2 inch sand bed, how much sand is recommended and is it ok to rinse the sand with just tap water or hose water or do I have to make RODI water just for the rinse? Also, is it available locally anywhere or just online?

Thanks again!

Yury

CienFuegos

Premium member
Try this link for a sand bed calculator . I used both, tab water and RO/DI water. I did most of the rinsing with the tab water and then I rinsed like twice with the RO/DI in a five gallon bucket. I know that AP and Tropi-Quatics sell sand.