Sand

Arthur

I have a quick question for you guys, maybe you can help me decide. I have a 10 gal. Fusion Nano in my son's bedroom it is 10 months old. He want's little more space in tank so I found a buyer for it and bought 20 gal. I have to transfer all tomorrow. Should I use old sand ? If better option is no then I'll go bare bottom. Since it is double volume of water it kind of bothers me too. Don't want to end up with small cycle... which could happen with over 50% new water. Anyway, transfer sand or toss it out. Thank's in advance. You guys always so helpful.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Tranfering 50% of water won't stop a cycle. If you want to prevent a cycle use the sand.

Sand and live rock is what holds the beneficial bacteria.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Can you elaborate on why you expect a cycle if you go to a bigger tank? If you take everything out of that tank that is already cycled and put in in a new tank with more water then why would there be a cycle? In any event, I'd keep the sand but before I put it in the new tank I'd leave in it a bucket with some of the original salt water and swirl the sand around and then dump the dirty water to get rid of any detritus before putting in the new tank. It won't kill the bacteria

Mark1313

I switched tanks like this in Nov. This served me well, no cycle and no losses.
Only thing I would add is I dosed Seachem Stability for 8 days. Prolly twice the recommendation, I just dumped it in.

Take everything out first. Siphon out 1/2 the water and save it for the new tank. Have fresh saltwater ready for the for the fill on the new tank.
Take out your fish, coral, and rock. I found that ziploc bags worked well to put the coral in. I floated them (fairly packed) in 5 gallon buckets. Then siphon off a cup or two of sand from the very top of your bed (to seed a new sand bed with).

Once you disturb this bed in any way, it will release a ton of organics into the remaining water. If you are set on saving this sand, you will need to rinse it thoroughly with lots of saltwater. It is probably easiest (and safest) to use new sand (bagged live sand is good in this situation as it doesn't require intensive rinsing).

I'm not gonna argue with people that know a lot more than I do. I will tell you that this method worked perfectly for me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Arthur

Thank's for all advice. Really appreciate. If it comes to cycle I thought if I put like 60% of new water i might couse issue... I understand that all good bacteria is in live rock and sand. Just checking...it never hurts to ask... Thank's again.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Thank's for all advice. Really appreciate. If it comes to cycle I thought if I put like 60% of new water i might couse issue... I understand that all good bacteria is in live rock and sand. Just checking...it never hurts to ask... Thank's again.
To clarify my previous post...I wasn't saying that there will not be a cycle. I don't see why there would be one but I've never done exactly what you're doing. If you read somewhere or someone told you that doing this and adding 50%+ new salt water could cause a cycle then by all means don't listen to me. My statement pondering why it would cause a (mini) cycle was hypothetical and based on assumption. If someone has told you that it can happen then I'd want to have a bottle of Dr. Tim's on hand to dose at the first sign of ammonia or nitrite.

I could be wrong but I don't think you'll get a cycle. If you do, please report back and let us know.

Arthur

I understand. No worries. I let you guys know. For now it's all done. Moved Live Rock and Corals, gave a sand good rinse. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have a problem tho... I swear I had cheap Black Chinese Box. I was planning of using it as temporary, now I cant find it. Will be looking for Rental in Naperville area for few days until decide what to buy... always something....