sand

jeepsdoitall

oh and i forgot to ask what everyone thinks about bio balls, see i am goin to go ahead and start my 220 salt tank and i found a guy that has a bunch of southdown maybe 30 bags for cheap and my brand new sump came with bio balls

xtlosx

Most people I've dealt with do NOT like bioballs for the sumps, stick with a fuge and live rock & DSB if you can. Works much better!

scotty

oh boy the bioball debate. today it seems like it's fashionable to hate on bio balls. people say they crash tanks and holds poo and whatnot, but Ive seen those people's tanks, and lets face it, poor husbandry is causing their problems, not pieces of plastic. they are not a substitute to live rock, but the guys that complain their sumps are loud cause the water is crashing through the now vacant trickle.....put the bio balls back in and clean them once a month. I would go that route.

the sand, pretty much sand is sand, Ive seen builds that guys throw the play sand in their tanks, i wouldn't go crazy like that, but im sure that sand is fine.

jeepsdoitall

yeah i was leaning toward using the balls and mixing the sand half live and half southdown and i will have a bunch of live rock in the tank

trackfast

Princess Trainer
The Southtown sand from way back? It was good and cheap and aragonite based if I remember right. I don't think it's what they're selling now at Menards, etc..

jeepsdoitall

its the stuff from way back he bought it for his 500 gallon that he never ended up starting he said he had to look all over to find it