Saved by my Foscam wireless sump cam

Cubsfan16

Hello all, I'm mostly a lurker but thought I would share experience I had that could have resulted in a total loss of my 120 SPS tank and how I prevented it for around $70. I had a 10 day vacation scheduled to Mexico and decided to buy a wireless camera to stick in my sump mainly to monitor my skimmer to make sure if it overflowed I could let my dog sitter know to empty it. The day after we left (flew to KC first to visit family) I checked the cam and noticed the skimmer was overflowing, at around 1am no less. The next morning I looked again and noticed the water level in the sump looked high and could tell the water movement looked stagnant....checked a little later and looked high but like it was flowing? Checked my apex and noticed the fan was on causing the surface movement of the water. Then I knew the return intake was either clogged or had failed....I have never had anyone service my tank and the dog sitter certainly wasn't experienced enough to trouble shoot or repair so I was debating flying back to Chicago, fixing and hopping back on a flight to KC but that could have left the tank without heat for nearly 20hrs. At this point I was accepting defeat and my wife asked if the camera ended up just making it worst knowing what was happening without anything I could do about it. On a whim I remembered Beyond the Reef serviced tanks and gave them a call as soon as the opened (on a Sat). They said they could check it out in a hour or so, faxed a CC authorization form to them, and fortunately I had a backup pump at the house so I called out dog sitter, had them meet the Beyond the Reef at the house....and was able to sit in my hotel room and watch (Derek) change out the pump from my phone. If you ever have to travel and want a little bit of piece of mind....I would highly recommend getting a wireless IP camera to monitor your sump....as it saved my tank and a huge mess. I have a apex but my thermometer is in the sump so that alone would have done nothing to prevent this incident. Hope this might help the next guy to avoid potential disaster.

Jwblocal701

Man U got lucky
That's awesome
I am waiting for my cam to show up in the mail
I might order another for the sump
I love foscams
I use them as security cameras
Around my house also

Cubsfan16

I know! I like that you can rotate them too. I can check my ATO and make sure my aqualifter didn't fail as well by looking at the indicator lights....nice piece of mind.

misenplace101

Happy that you were prepared. This shows that now matter how long your systems has be up as running and that one day you go out if town/vacation something happens.

I have been looking for awhile now and it's time to get one.

Thanks for sharing.

thinkfuture

Although I have quite a few cameras, the 1 person who protected & thrived my system while I was on vacation for a month was ^^.
That's right, Richard is a great friend & he regularly checked on my system & I must say the fish & corals were doing far better in Richard's care when I was not around. Thanks Bud!

Coming back to the topic, I have 4 cameras around the house, use 1 as a baby camera as well & check the cameras via IPhone. I really like it, the cameras are awesome.
If anybody is looking to buy, check for the newer high resolution model, it's a little more expensive but I feel it's worth it. I believe the regular model is like $60-$70 & the high resolution (720p) is $100-$110.

In case you are looking for the regular 1, let me know I can sell you mine & even help you get it set up & I'll buy the newer model.

rekcahdab

Although I have quite a few cameras, the 1 person who protected & thrived my system while I was on vacation for a month was ^^.
That's right, Richard is a great friend & he regularly checked on my system & I must say the fish & corals were doing far better in Richard's care when I was not around. Thanks Bud!

Coming back to the topic, I have 4 cameras around the house, use 1 as a baby camera as well & check the cameras via IPhone. I really like it, the cameras are awesome.
If anybody is looking to buy, check for the newer high resolution model, it's a little more expensive but I feel it's worth it. I believe the regular model is like $60-$70 & the high resolution (720p) is $100-$110.

In case you are looking for the regular 1, let me know I can sell you mine & even help you get it set up & I'll buy the newer model.
What model/brand?

Martini and Rossi Asti Spumante

misenplace101

It is a pleasure buddy. It fun and my kids got a kick out of it trying to sneak around the camera so you don't catch or see them. Lol.

What camera do you recommend? Would eBay be the best priced or factory direct?

thinkfuture

Who ever is looking to buy the camera, the model numbers are kind of confusing. Don't go with the order of the numbers. The latest regular version is FI8910W (This is what I have) & the FI8918W (also have this model) model is actually an older model.
If you are looking for the HQ version, model number is FI9821W

thinkfuture

Check Groupon, you will find the camera on sale often.
Also, you can find other generic Chinese version of the same camera on Ebay for just a little less, although Foscam is also a Chinese make.

Cubsfan16

I have the FI8910W as well and have been very happy with it....glad I didn't order the Chinese knock-off. As for the cost of the visit to replace the pump....$75....which I was more than happy to pay.