School puffer tank....species ideas?

Shovelman

Setting up a 55g that was originally going to be sw, but kinda thought the whole school would appreciate something a bit more ...universal. So going to do either fw puffers or figure eights as low end brackish.

Im thinking a little group of figure eights because they stay a small to decent size, brackish isn't hard to maintain for me, and that way you get that real, "pufferfish" look unlike some freshwater species that are a little more torpedo shaped.

If i was to go freshwater puffs, amazons? Just thinking it would be a pain to do dentistry during the school week....

suggestions? Red eye, red tail pair?

Ps: im not new to puffers, been doing oddball freshwater for 4+years

Shovelman

Figure eights it is. Only thing ive never tried are puffers and tank mates (besides ottos with dps). Are we talking knight gobies? Humphead glassfish?

Shovelman

Im a tad worried about the puffs getting nippy, as they often can be.... You kept figure eights with other brackish fish like the ones listed before?

Shovelman

So just keep an eye on them i suppose, as always.

What about some of the larger target puffer species (fw)?

Pufferpunk

They definitely do not play well with others--even conspecifics. As far as the F8s; heavy decor is the trick.

Shovelman

any tricks to acclimating java fern and java moss to brackish? Ordo you think rockwork looks best? Im at a standstill plant wise due to the salinity...

Shovelman

OH and what do you think of avocado puffers? Species only, maybe ill put in some cheaper zebra danios to see if they fair well together, but do avocados do well with each other? Ive seen them but actually haven't had experience with them

Pufferpunk

Was the PP working then? We finally got that site straightened out. Just in time for the spammers to find us... :(

Shovelman

I agree, even reef central, lionfish lair, and here can be alot especially if running threads on the same tank/posting same pics and info... copy/paste=best friend.