sea clone skimmer

gmguy496

so my skimmer doesnt really foam up and there is very little skimmate and its almost clear could this be bc i really dont have anything in the tank yet.. i have 5 snails 3 hermits and a couple coral frags. or do i just need to get a better skimmer

sparky5785

I'd say its a little bit of both. If there's nothing to skim the skimmer won't skim. On the other hand sea clones are notoriously not very high quality skimmers. It depends on tank size bioload budget etc.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gmguy496

I'd say its a little bit of both. If there's nothing to skim the skimmer won't skim. On the other hand sea clones are notoriously not very high quality skimmers. It depends on tank size bioload budget etc.

yea i got it new for 20 bucks and it was smaller to fit in my sump bc i converted a bioball sump so theres not much room in there

sparky5785

Yeah I hear ya. There are many small footprint skimmers out there that would be better options. Check out scaquariums skimmers they have three models under $150 they are knock offs of bubble magus and work really well.

gmguy496

i think my buddy has an aquac urchin skimmer hes not using if its the pro it wont fit but does anyone know if those r good?

sparky5785

Personally I dislike them I had an urchin and hated it just my two cents though.

What is the dimensions of the space where you'd like to place your skimmer and ill find you some options.

gmguy496

Personally I dislike them I had an urchin and hated it just my two cents though.

What is the dimensions of the space where you'd like to place your skimmer and ill find you some options.

bc the rails for the bio balls its 7x5

jayjigga

HOBs are a PITA sometimes. I love ma Reef Octopus, but if not for it, I would have done the knockoff Magus. No one IMO, should ever own a sea clone, let alone sell one...urchin could work, but to skimp on this hobby is asking to spend more in the long run.

gmguy496

thanks for the input i might be able to get the urchin for like 50 bucks so to save a few iyo would that be a decent skimmer for a 37. if he wont let me get it for that im probly gunna buy the magus knock off

Herbie

Banned
I have two of the ebay skimmers. One on each of my tanks. They're great!

If you decide to go with one, make sure you do this mod, which takes about 30 seconds to do with a dremel. http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?4271-SC-Aquariums-Skimmers&highlight=sc65

The other thing is just getting it to the right height in the water to work properly. I just built a simple egg crate stand for both of mine. Works great.
+1 on all that. They even give you two of the output pieeces in case you screw up or want to put it back to stock. LOL.

sparky5785

thanks for the input i might be able to get the urchin for like 50 bucks so to save a few iyo would that be a decent skimmer for a 37. if he wont let me get it for that im probly gunna buy the magus knock off
Like the others have said don't skimp over 30 bucks when you could have a proven piece of equipment. Lets say you buy the urchin for 50 are unhappy with it then buy the sca skimmer we have recommended for 80 now you've spent 130 plus whatever the seaclone cost you you see what they mean by costing more in the long run.

Skimmo

One thing to consider is running the tank without a skimmer. People do it with a very light bioload. However it's just a trade-off. The only skimmerless tanks I've seen succeed reduce nutrients with 1-2 water changes a week. Realistically you'd be doubling the typical salt-mix budget. After 6 months you'd be at or over $50 bucks.

One thing you'll learn quickly is that the hobby is not for thrifty wallets. There are plenty of ways to economize, but nutrient export is extremely critical. Insufficiently resourcing your nutrient export system means we'll see your tank for sale in the marketplace by next year.