Server Crash & Recovery

EyeReef

First, I want to apologize for the downtime and any inconvenience it may have caused you guys. It has been a roller coaster of a ride the past 36 hours. Ill tell you guys the gist of it. It started with the server going down yesterday morning. I had the web tech look at the problem and it was beyond repair. The only option was to restore the database with the most recent backup. Turns out the backups made through the hosting company is only a small fraction of the database and was basically unusable. The web tech told me that I would have to basically start all over. I was completely devastated hearing this. 3 years of hard work and information from all our members down the drain. He said he will try to look through all his hard drives to see if he still had the backup of the forum 3 months prior when we moved to the new server. He said chances were slim because he recently cleaned out the majority of his hard drives. 6 hours later and all my finger nails bitten off, he emailed me telling me he found part of the back up! He made the backup in bits and pieces due to the large size of the database. He still had to find the rest of the database in order to be able to do the restore. Another few hours later, he said he found the majority of it. We wouldn't know if it would work until this morning when he imported all the data. We did lose some stuff, but all the threads and posts made a full recovery.

So here we are with so much more work I need to do. Even though we lost everything from the last 3 months, I am truly thankful that we didn't lose everything. I feel this community is the strongest it has ever been and with a little bit of work, we can get it right back to where it was very soon.

To prevent this from happening again, we have strengthen the security of the site and installed a program that will frequently make backups of the database.

I am so sorry for everything and will make it up to you guys. Hopefully we can look past this and look forward to a bigger and better CR community
Thanks everyone
Mike

Tank2379

Servers and Data are the brains of everything and sometimes stuff happens... Glad everything is coming back to normal again....

I know personally how difficult it is to always maintain a forum and keep everything working, and how horrible it can be when things crash. If you ever need help with stuff, I do have experience with Vbull and could offer assistance if needed.

Great to hear the site is back up though.

Chicagoreefs

Administrator
Staff member
I am so happy that everyone is still in high spirits. We will get CR back on track soon enough. Thank you so much everyone!

labas39

Well, it looks like a lot of stuff in my profile is missing, such as emails, feedback, etc., but oh well!

Hard way to learn about backups, et. al., but here we are and it will build up quickly again!

kuujo28

Wow that was a horrible day or so without Chicagoreefs!! Hope it can be restored back to it's glory. GL