Shallow Reef Build

dkm

After reading threads for several months, its finally time to start getting my feet wet and to start my own build.
This tank will be my display tank and eventually become a QT tank if I ever decide to go larger. A lot of my ideas are floating around, so I was hoping to get them documented where feedback is gladly wanted.

Equipment

Tank: 24x24x12
Lighting: Ocean Revive t247
Flow: Vortech Mp10
Return Pump:
Heaters: 75w x2
Skimmer:
Controller:
Filtration: 100 gallon refugium, 200 lbs dry rock, chaeto, mangroves, miracle mud

Stock list:
Fish: A pair of clownfish (Picasso , snow flake, onyx, or black ice)
Coral: Red Monti, Ora Bird's nest, Tyree pink lemonade, Palmer's blue, Ora Oregon Tort

Specs Updated

Last edited:

Pfisherman

40 breeder for the win, even a 30 breeder. great footprint and not so tall you cant build a lookdown. maybe look at a 20 long.

anarchy

I run the 24x24x12 and love it. I would prefer a height of about 16" though, but 9" would be horrible for a display, great for a frag tank though

The reefer

I would do the 24x24x12, I recommend against the radion if ur gonna b doing sps dominant. I had it on my tank and I was not happy with it. The radion is really strong for a shallow tank IMO. Ull have a hard time keeping things happy and getting enough par where u want it. Can't raise the power to much cuz Ull fry the top sps and if u lower it u don't get good par numbers at the bottom. Well that was the problem with my setup.

Ur gonna need 2 mp10's for the flow also. Depending on how u set ur rock work u will have dead spots behind the rock.

For a fail safe on the heater. Instead of one 150w get two 75 w heaters instead. Just in case 1 decides to stick on the on position it will not cook ur tank.

Ofcourse those r my experiences with this size tank. Just wanted to give u a heads up.

dkm

Thank you for the comments. I updated my first post to show the changes according to the feedback. This will be my nano setup, however, I'll have a sump larger than my display giving me a little assistance. I've grown fond of these cube aquariums, if this build is successful I will later like to have a cube that is not just taller, but a larger footprint. I will start the framework on the stand, and I still have decision to make regarding the plumbing. Anarchy do you have a build thread on your 24x24x12? I think I found it, must be this 85 page thread I'm going to go through.

Last edited:

dkm

While my shallow reef tank is in the works, I've picked up another shallow tank in the meantime. I am really digging the 12" height.
Its not much to look at right now, but its a start. Will be adding a surge and be picking up some chaeto and an emerald this week to hopefully get rid of the bubble algae problem.

I've been having the sps bug, but never had any corals before. I want to make sure the water parameters are perfect and conditions are pristine before I add any corals. I read the article by Randy Holmes, does anyone use the diy supplement method?

ttmanta

Just an fyi there's a post on Craigslist for a 75 long that has the same footprint as a 125 but is only 12" tall. Just letting you know since you said you like the 12" tanks. I didn't even know they made a tank with those dimensions.

Spartanman22

I've used diy methods using prestone, Epson salt, and baking soda for years with good results. I'm currently using BRS 2 part simply for convenience

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk