Shrimp VS Six Line

kdog23

Hey guys/gals...I have 3 big Peppermints ,2 Skunk cleaners and a small Pistol (not sure if he is still alive-never see him) in a Bio Cube. I was going to move them all in a 75g but I am worried the six line (2 1/2") might chow down. I have tons of rock-but the Wrasse flies thru it like a bat out of hell. He is established so I wonder if I should buy a test shrimp or just sell off my shrimp. Any thoughts ? Thanks-Kevin

DAS212

I had a mystery wrasse kill ( and I believe eat) my cleaner shrimp and a yellow watchman goby. I have had a sixline kill fish too, I eventually stopped putting wrasse in my tank all together. Wrasse have the potential to kill other members of your tank, IMO shrimp are most def a potential target. However, many people have success, a 75g is very large but you are adding 5 shrimp which live in the rock. I have found that the wrasse is very territorial with other fish living within the rock structure of the tank. Chances are you will have problems, I noticed my cleaner would perch on the overflow and moved into the rock as soon as I took my sixline out, most def due to aggression from the wrasse. Your call, but 5 might be too many. Let me know what you do and what happens.

- Dave

Funlad3

Mysteries are way more predatory than any other wrasse I've had, though I've never had one with shrimp.

I know that six lines are more aggressive towards fish than other wrasses, but I know that the majority of people have no problems between them and their shrimp. I'd go for it, though a loss is a possibility.

I have a fire shrimp and a sixline in my 12 gallon for now and they get along no problem. They will both be moved to my 75 once it is up and running.

kdog23

Well I put in a test Peppermint and it seemed fine for the 1st hour or so. So I pulled 3 shrimp from my Bio cube and was getting them acclimated.....while I was doing that I noticed the 6 line started licking his chops when he found the shrimp. Well he took a couple nips and left it alone. I ended up putting the 3 shrimp (1 skunk-2 peps) in and I am going to check today if everyone looks alive. I was given the 6 line-I should have investigated this better because I have had the shrimp a lot longer and I actually like them. I have a tang and plan on getting another so I wanted the cleaners-and the Pep's ate my aptasia on a couple free rocks. The Wrasse does chase my Blennies too---what a pain !.....I may have to fish for a six line one night.