Site may be unreachable - We need to transfer the domain name

jrpark22000

Premium member
Hi All,

I've been putting this off since picking the site up from the Eyereef. The domain name DNS settings have been broken. There are several problems related to email that cannot be resolved due to our regrestrar’s options and frankly I just don't like the company.

I've been putting it off as it'll very likely break the site for up to 48 hours. We may get lucky and not see any hit, but let’s make plans for a hit to be safe. The site will still function. You (or I) won't be able to reach it using www.chicagoreefs.com address. Think of it like porting a telephone number from one company to another, during the porting there may be a service break. Due to how the internet and DNS works, it can take up to 48 hours for the domain name porting to happen.

All this said, I have to do it. The lingering issues with email are a pain for many people beyond myself. I’ll keep you all informed of the process which I’ve already started. It will take several days until I can perform the next step and then several days more. I’ll also add a message banner above the chat box to help inform people.

Hang in there with me and we’ll get one more of the lingering issues the site has had for far too long fixed.

-Josh

ipconfig /flushdns for those that are a little more tech savvy. =D

Sounds good to me Josh, I can understand how annoying these types of things can be.

jrpark22000

Premium member
ipconfig /flushdns for those that are a little more tech savvy. =D

Very good point,
Start --->
run--->
cmd--->
ipconfig /flushdns

Will be a very good process for your windows computers. (Will vary dependign on what windows OS. For win 7-10, type cmd into the search bar, then the ipconfig /flushdns command. This won't help the change take place within the internet any faster, but it will help your PC work faster once the internet is operational.

Sounds good to me Josh, I can understand how annoying these types of things can be.
Thanks. It all comes down to risk vs reward. There hasn't been enough reward until now to go through the risk (and pain).

Fish_wiz2

I have no idea what any of that IT stuff means but 48 hours away from a computer screen and working on the koi pond and nano sounds good to me.

1jwampler

Hi All,

I've been putting this off since picking the site up from the Eyereef. The domain name DNS settings have been broken. There are several problems related to email that cannot be resolved due to our regrestrar’s options and frankly I just don't like the company.

I've been putting it off as it'll very likely break the site for up to 48 hours. We may get lucky and not see any hit, but let’s make plans for a hit to be safe. The site will still function. You (or I) won't be able to reach it using www.chicagoreefs.com address. Think of it like porting a telephone number from one company to another, during the porting there may be a service break. Due to how the internet and DNS works, it can take up to 48 hours for the domain name porting to happen.

All this said, I have to do it. The lingering issues with email are a pain for many people beyond myself. I’ll keep you all informed of the process which I’ve already started. It will take several days until I can perform the next step and then several days more. I’ll also add a message banner above the chat box to help inform people.

Hang in there with me and we’ll get one more of the lingering issues the site has had for far too long fixed.

-Josh
Josh,

Before you change your DNS registrar, consider changing your SOA record to the minimum value, most registrars allow 300 or less. After ~24 hours all of your subscribers will dump their cache after that interval. I looked up your URL and it's currently set to 3600 seconds which is only 1 hour (not too bad) most caches will clear in no more than double that interval. Unfortunately the advise of local DNS "ifconfig /flushdns" will only reset your computer's cache, most of your subscribers use their broadband providers resolvers, so they won't flush.

If you set the SOA to 300 seconds, typically worst case scenario will be 10 minutes.

Hope this helps.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Josh,

Before you change your DNS registrar, consider changing your SOA record to the minimum value, most registrars allow 300 or less. After ~24 hours all of your subscribers will dump their cache after that interval. I looked up your URL and it's currently set to 3600 seconds which is only 1 hour (not too bad) most caches will clear in no more than double that interval. Unfortunately the advise of local DNS "ifconfig /flushdns" will only reset your computer's cache, most of your subscribers use their broadband providers resolvers, so they won't flush.

If you set the SOA to 300 seconds, typically worst case scenario will be 10 minutes.

Hope this helps.
It's already part of the plan. Too bad many ISPs don't regard dns ttl values from what I've seen. Either way I'll do everything I can to try for a hitless switch, and minimize any hit to the best of my ability.

1jwampler

It's already part of the plan. Too bad many ISPs don't regard dns ttl values from what I've seen. Either way I'll do everything I can to try for a hitless switch, and minimize any hit to the best of my ability.
If anyone has difficulty and you have your TTL set low, they can always use Google 8.8.8.8 in the DNS (resolver) settings, Google follows RFCs with regards to honoring TTLs. https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/intro#security

The above said, obviously it's best to set it back to 3600 or more once you have made the change, so that you, google and the users aren't wasting resources resolving the same IP to name info that could be cached longer.

jrpark22000

Premium member
WOW, domain name transfer is already completed!!!!

I'm just updating DNS settings now, may be a couple hiccups today while I do so.

jrpark22000

Premium member
One other side affect is until it all completes the site won't be able to send out any emails, including PM updates, replies, notifications etc. I'll keep everyone updated on the status.