Skimmer overflow after water change..normal?

Jwblocal701

Is it common for a skimmer to overflow after a water change
If leave it off a day then turn it back on its fine
But if I turn it on right after water change
It overflows
Anyone else have this problem
It's a eshopps come skimmer
Works great otherwise

JDP1988

It may be from the water level change.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Most likely that is the reason it overflows. I had the same problem with a RO 1000INT its sweet spot was at 6 inches of water. Anything more than that it will overflow and you had to adjust it for it to function correctly. Skimmers have their sweet spot and must keep their demands for them to work without complications.

Skimmers are always moody any chemistry change in the water will cause the skimmer to go off the wall. I had a fish die in my nano and my skimmer when off the wall. It was just overflowing with bubble skim to the point the top blew off the the skimmer cup. Also skimmate was overflowing back in the tank.

Skimmer Problems 101 in session.

Jwblocal701

No the skimmer is always at same height water
It's sits behind a wall of sump
The wall determines water height, and that never changes in that section of the pump

Jwblocal701

I ha e a feeling it more water chemistry
Fresh water and salt
Stirring up junk
I'm just curious if a lot of people see this after water changes or is my skimmer just to sensitive to change

fwadiver

my new skimmer (recirc) has been doing this, to be fair i stirred up alot of sediment when i did the WC this time, I find running some fresh carbon after a wc help keep the overflowing to a min

It's normal for skimmers to overflow after doing a water change with fresh saltwater. When I do my monthly sump breakdown and drain and refill, when I plug the skimmer back up the new saltwater cause the skimmer to go nuts. After a while it goes back to normal. I keep my skimmer off for an hour or so to allow the old and new water in the tank to mix. Then I plug it back up.